SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by RFGuy »

JPG,

Thanks. I believe both new cans are the more yellowish variety.
IMG_7615.jpg
IMG_7615.jpg (300.33 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would call that the grayish variety and it likely is a product of Mexico.

I will look for an older version(yellow/usa) in my stash
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Now ya got me curious... I'm going to look at my can I've been using for the last couple years and see what color it is and then check the color and consistency of my new stuff.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Okay so I opened all my cans of wax. My original can I bought back when I bought my Mark 5 is all one solid cake of wax in the can. The other 4 I just purchased the cake is all busted up and in random pieces in the can. The pieces seem to be a solid consistency like my original just in pieces. The color is also the same on all of them.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Old can Old color - made in Mexico.
JPW OLD.jpg
JPW OLD.jpg (156.7 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below is a picture of the 2 colors of JPW I have, both from open/used cans. The one on the left is my old can of JPW I have had for a very long time. The one on the right is a can I got used but I don't remember exactly where from. I think it was with a Shopsmith I purchased to restore so the age is unknown. The 2 new cans I purchased recently are the same color and consistency as the can on the left. All 4 cans I have are labeled from Mexico.

_
JPW colors.jpg
JPW colors.jpg (213.42 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your pix is far better than mine!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG & Russ,

Thanks guys. The only frame of reference that I have is the few cans of JPW that I have purchased and used in my lifetime. The oldest can that I have, became my defacto screw lubricant can (to keep from splitting hardwoods). I rarely use screws, but when I do this is the can of wax that I use for it, so it is old and mostly dried out at this point but still effective as a screw wax. This can matches what JPG showed and the pic on the right from Russ. I would call this more of an orange, than yellow. These newer cans look more gray the closer I hold them to my concrete floor but in the right light, they look kind of yellowish-brown, which is why I thought they were the yellow version. The old can, to me, looks yellowish-orange, but I wasn't sure how much of that color is from the solvent flashing off of it and changing the appearance. Sorry for my confusion. Any thoughts on how to best reconstitute the applesauce can that I have of it?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

All mine look exactly like the can on the left in Russ's pic.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I agree orangeish yellow.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝