SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by rlkeeney »

Paste wax is wax dissolved in a solvent. Stoddard solvent is used in Johnson's Paste Wax.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to leavel the lid off and see if it evaporates. I have had it be too thin after adding solvent to dried wax and fixed it by leaving the lid off for a while which is how it got hard in the first place.
Last edited by rlkeeney on Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rlkeeney wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:38 am Paste wax is wax dissolved in a solvent. Stoddard solvent is used in Johnson's Paste Wax.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to level the lid off and see if it evaporates. I have had it be too thin after adding solvent to dried wax and fixed it by leaving the lid off for a while which is how it got hard in the first place.
Robert,

Thanks. I appreciate it and may try that to correct it. What is weird is that I got a 2nd can from the same company that was what I expected, i.e. a firm, wax texture like JPW usually is. Since that 1st can leaked through the closed top I suspected perhaps the solvent had leaked out more so than the wax, but if that were the case then why would it be all runny and like applesauce? Maybe I have got it backwards and the damaged can (from shipment) leaked more wax than solvent on its way to me. IF that is the case, then your suggestion should fix it. Thanks again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

rlkeeney wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:38 am Paste wax is wax dissolved in a solvent. Stoddard solvent is used in Johnson's Paste Wax.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to leavel the lid off and see if it evaporates. I have had it be too thin after adding solvent to dried wax and fixed it by leaving the lid off for a while which is how it got hard in the first place.
The cadet's logic is sound.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:18 pm The cadet's logic is sound.
Yeah, but WHY would the wax be more likely to leak out of the dented can and the solvent stay behind? This is what doesn't make sense to me. It seems more probable that the solvent would leak or flash off out of the compromised can than the other way around. To get the consistency that I have in that one can, there either is too much solvent to wax, or the two are separating.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

I had the very same experience: ordered through the mail, the can leaked in the box, the consistency of the product was like oat meal. I assumed the odd texture was because it partially melted during shipping. In particular, there were some whiteish lumps that I thought might be the paraffin element of the wax. I re-heated the can, mixed it thoroughly when it was all melted and then let it cool. The result is a uniform wax that is more solid than the lumpy stuff I started with. More importantly, it's more like the JPW that I have used for so many years.

-Erik

JPW after re-heating, mixing and cooling
JPW after re-heating, mixing and cooling
2022 1031 JPW after re-heating and mixing.jpeg (465.53 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Erik wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 pm I had the very same experience: ordered through the mail, the can leaked in the box, the consistency of the product was like oat meal. I assumed the odd texture was because it partially melted during shipping. In particular, there were some whiteish lumps that I thought might be the paraffin element of the wax. I re-heated the can, mixed it thoroughly when it was all melted and then let it cool. The result is a uniform wax that is more solid than the lumpy stuff I started with. More importantly, it's more like the JPW that I have used for so many years.

-Erik
Erik,

Thanks. I appreciate it. I think I will try what you did first and see if it corrects like yours has. IF that doesn't work, then I will try Robert's suggestion of just leaving the lid off for a bit. It just doesn't make sense to me that more wax could have leaked out of my can than solvent due to a dented can.
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:17 pm
Erik wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 pm I had the very same experience: ordered through the mail, the can leaked in the box, the consistency of the product was like oat meal. I assumed the odd texture was because it partially melted during shipping. In particular, there were some whiteish lumps that I thought might be the paraffin element of the wax. I re-heated the can, mixed it thoroughly when it was all melted and then let it cool. The result is a uniform wax that is more solid than the lumpy stuff I started with. More importantly, it's more like the JPW that I have used for so many years.

-Erik
Erik,

Thanks. I appreciate it. I think I will try what you did first and see if it corrects like yours has. IF that doesn't work, then I will try Robert's suggestion of just leaving the lid off for a bit. It just doesn't make sense to me that more wax could have leaked out of my can than solvent due to a dented can.
Johnsons Paste Wax is an emulsion. As such, under certain conditions (heat) it is subject to "breaking" and separating. The wax particles come out of suspension and you are left with lumps and liquid solvent. Like in cooking when a sauce or gravy breaks and gets all liquid and grainy. I think Erik has the right approach to fix the problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Let us know how it turns out RF Guy!!!!
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:08 am Let us know how it turns out RF Guy!!!!
Kevin,

Thanks. Will do. Just putting it off because of the smell, but I'll get to it. :(

As I stated previously (below), I believe this is an emulsion because you have two different density materials (solvent and wax) suspended. I am tempted to try another method to reintegrate it to avoid the long open time and smell related. In cooking, emulsions are created all the time by vigorously whisking. However, any application of shear should work...an agitator like one used for paint mixing comes to mind. Not sure Home Depot is going to let me walk in and use their paint can shaking equipment though! :D Heating is an alternative way to apply shear. I guess I could also use a paint stirrer in a cordless drill, but I would have to put the mixture in a gallon paint can and take steps to contain it so it doesn't splatter out of it. Not sure this is any better than the heating method though to be honest. Oh well, just random musings on how to do it while I procrastinate opening that can to smell it. ;)

Erik,

How long did you have to heat the mixture when you did yours?
emulsion.jpg
emulsion.jpg (245.37 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
📶RF Guy

Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

RFGuy,

The melting process took about 6-7 minutes. Since it was all ready in a metal can, I simply put it on the the smallest burner at the lowest setting (if you are nervous about this approach you could use a double boiler with water -- I wax skis a lot during the winter and so am comfortable melting wax). Most of it melted in a couple of minutes and all of it was dissolved by about minute 5. There was virtually no smell because I deliberately kept the temperature low so that the wax didn't smoke. I did, however, do it when my wife was out running errands :) . She was none the wiser about my kitchen project -- and she has a great nose --so I know that it did not create any lingering odor (she was gone for about 1 hour).

-Erik

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).