Changing Speed - Mark V

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Changing Speed - Mark V

Post by JPG »

Belt tension is the sole purpose of the floating sheave and spring etc. The resultant speed change is what the control sheave movement intended. The control sheave lives up to it''s name.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Three Motors _ Three Idler Speeds

Post by dusty »

Just a bit of trivia without words. These sketches came from my efforts to understand the sheaves and how they work.
Three Motors - Three Idler Speeds.png
Three Motors - Three Idler Speeds.png (56.44 KiB) Viewed 480 times
In the sketch on the right, please note what I consider a "hard low speed stop" (when the end of the floating sheave meets the washer). It may not have been designed to be that but it certainly works.

In the sketch on the left, please note what I consider a "hard high speed stop" ( when the vains in the center of the sheaves meet inside of the sheaves. In the real world this meeting of the sheaves just happens to occur when the sheaves measure 1/2" separation at the outside perimeter. They can not/ will not go closer together than that 1/2"
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Changing Speed - Mark V

Post by JPG »

Well that explains the 1 1/4 to 2 3/4range in the chart in another thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange