ER7313-serial number

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cstrasbaugh
Bronze Member

ER7313-serial number

Post by cstrasbaugh »

Hi all!
I'm new to this forum. Have from what I can tell an "ancient" Shopsmith I got from my father-in-law in '87. He used it a lot; I've used it a few times, the saw only and it's sat in my garage for about six years now unused. I want to give it to our son-in-law who's much more of a craftsman and woodworker than I. It needs a lot of work to bring back to life. Just tried running it and the motor barely turned and then threw the breaker. The serial number is right on the red logo, ER 7313. Nothing I've seen on line from Shopsmith seems to go back that far. I wondered what suggestions might be out there for me getting this thing running again-and how old it is. I'd like to give it to our son-in-law in some working order if possible. I sure would be grateful for any help. Thank you!!
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: ER7313-serial number

Post by HopefulSSer »

Welcome!

We like pictures. Post a few including what accessories you've got and folks can better identify what you have. I'm a relative newbie as well and I can say with confidence we have some very knowledgeable, helpful folks here!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re the motor crawling/breaker tripping.

Likely caused by the internal start switch not making contact. A motor shop should be able to correct that easily if you do not wish to tackle it yourself. Otherwise we can help thee do it thyself.

Pix are a MUST!!!! Often they reveal to experienced beings what is overlooked by those less so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

cstrasbaugh,

From the serial number ER7313 I am guessing the plate the serial number is on looks like the one in the picture below.

_
10E ER9646 Troy MI.jpg
10E ER9646 Troy MI.jpg (259.74 KiB) Viewed 515 times
That is a Shopsmith Model 10E made in the late 1940's. It should look like this one I restored but may not have all the extra accessories shown.

_
10ER R33231.jpg
10ER R33231.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 515 times
If the above looks correct, we have identified your Shopsmith.

Now since your Shopsmith was made over 70 years ago it and has been stored for quite some time it could use some TLC to get it back to working condition. My first suggestion would be to evaluate the motor and bearings. First take the belt off and then try the motor running without any load. If it runs okay, it is likely the bearings in the Drive Sleeve Assembly and/or the Quill Assembly that need replacing. If it still trips the breaker JPG's suggestion may be a possibility. The motor may need a good cleaning out of saw dust. With the belt off turn the Drive Sleeve Pulley by hand. It should turn freely. With the Quill still in the Headstock you are turning all 4 bearings, 2 in the Drive Sleeve and 2 in the Quill. You can remove the Quill from the Headstock to check the bearings in both the Drive Sleeve and Quill separately. Unless the bearings are turning freely and smoothly, they should be replaced.

There are a number of threads here on the Shopsmith Forum that can help you with the process and you can ask questions here on your thread anytime. As already suggested picture do help in describing what you are referring to.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
cstrasbaugh
Bronze Member

Post by cstrasbaugh »

Hi guys!
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post-and Russ, that is the model. I was shocked to see your picture! The numbers on the plate label are a bit different, but essentially that's the tool. To say it needs some TLC, particularly as I look at the work you've done Russ, is an understatement. My father-in-law had many of the parts you show, however.
Frankly, I am really in over my head with this, I think. The switch doesn't work any more, the power cord is the original and doesn't have a ground-replace? I have gotten the sense that I would be able to still buy parts for it. Am I right about that? I don't think that my gifts lie in the area of this kind of repair, as I said, and I don't want to screw things up. I'm in Bethlehem, PA, btw, and haven't seen anybody remotely nearby posting.
But I wanted to get back with a thank you to all of you.
I think for now I will follow your thoughts on starting the clean up, Russ. (I have to look up terms like quill, headstock, etc.; that will give you a sense
of how challenged I am. I'm a gardener and academician . . . you get the idea). But this seems to be a really helpful community and I will try to get some pictures on line, talk with my son-in-law about the project and pass this forum along to him. The renovations my father-in-law made to their home in North Jersey in knotty pine were always so impressive and he made them with this machine. The idea that it could be productive again is intriguing and exciting.
Again, many, many thanks. Wasn't expecting to hear anything, never mind so soon.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Do keep in mind the one in my picture is a restoration and I try to get them looking as close to new as possible. That is not necessary to have a good functioning Shopsmith tool.

Since it still has the original power cords and switch, I would highly recommend replacing them. This is a good time to add a ground to the power cords. In referring to power cords I mean the plug to the switch cord and the switch to the motor cord. Some motors have terminals inside to connect the power cord to while others have to be spliced to the wires inside.

Here is the good news and bad news about parts. First the bad news, since it is over 70 years old new OEM replacement parts for the basic tool are not available from Shopsmith with 2 exceptions, they are the Quill Spring and the Quill Bumper Ring which are still used in Mark series tools today. Now for some good news. Most parts are easily found used online for sale by people that buy old Shopsmith tools and part them out. Your Model 10E has the same size spindle end of the Quill and same Quill diameter as the current Shopsmith Mark series tools. If you need, for example, to replace a Lathe Drive you can buy a new one from Shopsmith through the online catalog here on this website. The only difference between the Lathe Drive that came with your Model 10E originally and the current one is the set screw size changed in 1954 and a black protective coating has been added starting in 1964.

If you don't have an Owner's Guide for your Model 10E check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first four topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On the Google Drive look under 10E and 10ER and there is a PDF of the 10ER Owner's Guide that would more closely represent your Model 10E. During their production there were many changes made to the Model 10E and 10ER which is why I recommend the Model 10ER Owner's Guide unless your Model 10E has the wood Extension Table instead of the metal one. The Owner's Guide will help you and your son-in-law understand how to use the Shopsmith Model 10E and the names of the various parts. The attached PDF below is an addendum to the Owner's Guide.
Waxing Supplement Model 10s.pdf
(109.74 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
cstrasbaugh
Bronze Member

Post by cstrasbaugh »

Russ,
Thank you so very much for your time and effort and articulate explanations. I will share these with our son-in-law and let him have a look at the tool and see to what extent he wants to invest in the project. So very grateful for what you've done and will let you know if we need more information or help. BTW, you did an exceptional job by all accounts on the Shopsmith you displayed in your picture. Again, many thanks!