What's this for?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Re: What's this for?

Post by KCollins »

What benefit does this glean for them? The spammers?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The more instances of their web site that exist moves their site higher on search engine results.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Right -- the way I understand it is that it's a way to game search results. They bury links to their sites wherever they can and it makes their site appear more legit & popular so it gets ranked higher in the search results.

I've been making a bit of a game finding them. If there's a 1-post newbie who resurrects an old thread, there's either spam hidden in their (usually vague) post, or they'll make the post without a link then come along later and add one
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

good grief.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

HopefulSSer wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:24 pm Right -- the way I understand it is that it's a way to game search results. They bury links to their sites wherever they can and it makes their site appear more legit & popular so it gets ranked higher in the search results.

I've been making a bit of a game finding them. If there's a 1-post newbie who resurrects an old thread, there's either spam hidden in their (usually vague) post, or they'll make the post without a link then come along later and add one
Yes, I am always suspicious of the 1-post newbie who resurrects an old thread but I have not been able to see the hidden links. However, if you quote the SPAMER's post in the editor you can see them. So the way from now on is just to quote the suspicious post to check for links but don't actually post it to the forum..

One thing to note, if you quote a post with a hidden link and then post that message to the forum the link will not show up but it is still there. It is only visible in the editor. In the other thread that RFGuy is talking about he quoted the SPAMER's original post. The Moderator deleted the original post but the link is still in RFGuy's quote of the post. So that defeats the deletion of the original SPAM post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT