10ER Reassembly Issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChaplainLewis
Silver Member

10ER Reassembly Issue

Post by ChaplainLewis »

I've finished cleaning the headstock and all the parts and while reassembling it have run into a couple of questions that I can't find answers for.

1) When the drive shaft, quill, and bearings all assembled, there is about a 1/8 inch give in the shaft. I assumed it would be snug and nothing would move except the shaft rotating inside the bearings and quill. Is this 1/8-inch movement normal? It moves easily and everything rotates properly, otherwise.

2) I got the larger bearings over the drive sleeve (with the spacer in place) and everything fits nicely. However, when I put the quill in from the other end of the headstock the drive shaft (A) won't "marry" up with the drive sleeve (B) more than about 1/4 inch. I took it all apart again and checked and the "teeth" inside the drive sleeve are tighter on the end inside the headstock. Is this correct? Seems wrong. Any tips on fixing it.

as a side note, I replaced all the bearings and they work great. There are not rotational problems.

Thanks a ton
10 ER Drive Shaft.jpg
10 ER Drive Shaft.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 7945 times