And what's this for?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

And what's this for?

Post by HopefulSSer »

I didn't want to hijack the "What's this for" thread, but inspired by it I'm starting this one and asking: What's the second saw slot for on the left of my greenie 500 table? It appears it was omitted on later 500 tables
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: And what's this for?

Post by DLB »

As I understand it, the second slot was added because there was a no-man's land of rip widths where it was difficult to accurately set the fence. Essentially the problem occurred when the fence would be set partially on the main table and partly on the extension table. I can attest that mine would not be square in those cases. So the second slot gave you more table to the right of the second slot to fill that gap. But it was not there at the beginning or at the end of the Greenie thru 500 era, I don't know why the second slot was eliminated. I don't think your table is original. In contrast a 520, and I presume 510, fence is not affected by this and is square when partially on two tables.

- David
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

David is correct. My 1980 Mark V 500 Owner's Manual mentioned it's purpose, but a Product Modification Notice was also included with the explanation as to why it was eliminated. Mine does not have the extra slot.
Attachments
ShopsmithOwner'sManual07.jpg
ShopsmithOwner'sManual07.jpg (263.69 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Table Modification.jpg
Table Modification.jpg (127.46 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Interesting. Thanks!
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

That is interesting and exactly what I was talking about with my thread... No biggie but I had hoped others would (like yourself) would have asked this question in my thread. I had hoped others would ask what other stuff is for in that thread and let the lifer's answer the question. This was a good one. Thanks for asking it.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Although the Important Notice is wrong as to the date of "1953" the later Mark 5 Greenies had the extra slot added after it was part of the Mark 2 Main Table to compensate for the reason already listed which was a result of the design of the Mark 2 Extension Table. Keep in mind that the Mark 2 was designed for an 8" Saw Blade and the Mark 5 at the time was using a 9" saw blade. The Mark 5 going to a 10" saw blade presented a problem as noted on page 7 of the manual shown above. It was that limitation and probably a few damaged tables from lowering over a 10" saw blade too much that prompted Shopsmith to discontinue the extra slot besides the other reasons listed. The Mark 2 Extension Table is shown below for reference and yes, it is on the other end of the tool than normally used.

_
Extension Table.jpg
Extension Table.jpg (75.46 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
The Mark 2 Extension Table provided either a support for longer stock riding across the top or its own fence with stock supported on the lower part. That left a gap of a couple inches that the Mark 2 could not be used for cutting stock to width. The extra Main Table Slot overcame that issue. On a Mark 5/V 500 a spacer attached to the fence face can be used to overcome the Main Table/Extension Table gap problem.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That AND the poor ability to bridge the main/aux table gap.(especially with an extruded aluminum main table fence rail and a cast in aux table rail) The spacer work around will work just about anywhere. I imagine the greenies with a main table cast rail were worse.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

KCollins wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:35 am That is interesting and exactly what I was talking about with my thread... No biggie but I had hoped others would (like yourself) would have asked this question in my thread. I had hoped others would ask what other stuff is for in that thread and let the lifer's answer the question. This was a good one. Thanks for asking it.
Sorry! Maybe a mod can merge the threads?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Mark V / 500 table with second slot question

Post by br549 »

Since this older thread talks about the second slot, I am asking my questions here instead of creating a new thread.

I am considering getting a Mark V / 500 table with the second slot for a couple of reasons. First, for the ability to rip larger widths without trying to bridge the main table/auxiliary table gap or having to add spacers to the fence while the fence is entirely on the aux. table, and second, for the ability to change tables out when one is set to a specific tilt and I want to use a different angle without having to risk losing my setting. The table has the bolt on fence rail as opposed to cast-in-place. The table tilt lock looks slightly different than my 1980 Mark V ... is it a plunger in the middle?

The table that I am considering appears to be in reasonable shape, but I am also wondering about the green paint color. Does this look like an original color for a greenie at some point in it's history? Were the undersides of the tables painted at some point? The fence and miter gauge offered by same seller are same color green.
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (368.89 KiB) Viewed 118 times