Those irksome cut-offs-what to do !

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: Those irksome cut-offs-what to do !

Post by rlkeeney »

KCollins wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:50 am I have a ton of walnut cutoffs but no idea what to do with them... I like the bowl idea. Give me an excuse to learn how to turn something on the lathe. This at least helps me get something dimensional. Thanks for posting bainin...
You can send them to me. I'll find a use for them. :)
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Robert- I see you mentioned handling small pieces of wood on another thread. Do you have any suggestions on easiest ways to dimension something like this ?

b
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

rlkeeney wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:33 pm
KCollins wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:50 am I have a ton of walnut cutoffs but no idea what to do with them... I like the bowl idea. Give me an excuse to learn how to turn something on the lathe. This at least helps me get something dimensional. Thanks for posting bainin...
You can send them to me. I'll find a use for them. :)
You're too eager Robert. LOL... :D
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

bainin wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:37 pm Robert- I see you mentioned handling small pieces of wood on another thread. Do you have any suggestions on easiest ways to dimension something like this ?

b
It depends on what you will do with them and, of course, what dimensions you want. I will use my miter saw, or Shopsmith table saw if I want a smooth surface. I can cut pieces as small as 1/4-inch on either. The band saw works as well but leaves a rougher cut.

I made compound-cut miniature birdhouse ornaments from bits of wood that I squared with a plane and glued them up into blocks large enough to cut blanks. In this case, I used the miter saw to cut them to size and square 1.5x1.5x3 inches.

On the table saw the MicroJig Grr-Ripper is a huge help.
When using my miter saw, I use techniques I learned from watching Ted Baldwin's videos at Gwinnett Woodworkers on YouTube for the miter saw.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alright-finally worked my way thru this little project. In the end I took Roberts advice and ran the base cuts on the table saw. This left little work to be done by sanding etc prior to glue up of the sticks.

The holder-came from a block glue up of some walnut I had aorund, then cutting it out to end up with angles I wanted.

The coasters are ...interesting looking. The slots on one side are there in case you find your drink sticking to the very flat other side :)
The slots work well btw to break up that liquid surface tension.
coaster-front+back.jpg
coaster-front+back.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Walnut base
coaster-base.jpg
coaster-base.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Base bottom
coaster-back.jpg
coaster-back.jpg (83.63 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
All together
coaster-final.jpg
coaster-final.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

This one took me alot longer than I wanted..as its supposed to be a means to reduce cutoffs piling up. But I think it can be done pretty quickly
with some setup sticks and such.

Dont look too close, or you'll see how much I hate sanding and finishing !

b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Marquetry ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I like it, especially the holder!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

we have 3- 55 gallon trash cans full now of small cut offs , I love this idea , I have been waiting on the right moment to start some projects like these just to challenge my skills . https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... LQ-8IqD0YM
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)