mid-'50s shopsmith disassembling and cleaning -- help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

edward wrote:So I pull bearing housing off drive sleeve (photo 2, Micky) and now that it's off, I can't pull off anymore housing! The bearing separator won't catch. All I have is a nice neat ring with bearings inside, completely enclosed. Help...
Post a picture of what your looking at.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

edward wrote:And I can't get the "face" off the motor in order to get at those bearings. Not the sheave. Just the round silver part that is connected to the shaft. Sheesh. I'm an idiot.
A picture is worth a thousand words is what I have been always told. A couple pictures of the motor and motor information tag would help as there were several different motors used in Shopsmiths and they do not all come apart the same way. Some bearings are press fit and others are held in with retainer ring and screws. Be sure to mark the end plates and housing with a mark/knot so you know how to reassemble these parts.

I have a set of Jacob Anderson's DVDs (listed on Ebay), one on rebuilding the headstock and one on how to repair 4 different type motors. I review them quite often to make sure I do not forget any information/tips when working on headstocks. I believe they were one of my better Shopsmith investments for doing repair work.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Nevermind. Got it. The ol' rubber mallet. Now I'm working on the quill sleeve...
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused:
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Ha! I pulled bearings! Now to replace them...

Couple questions:
- The inside of the motor is still dusted with sawdust. I blew out what I could; is it ok?
- When I put bearing back on, do they have to go in the exact same spot? How do I know what the exact spot is? Should I have marked them somehow?
- One of my snap washers is slightly bent. Will it work? Get a new one?
- Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a greenie? I pulled the wires without diagramming.

Thanks!
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Again a picture would be helpful. Generally speaking white to white (neutral), black to black (hot), green to green (ground). No idea what your wire colors are. Bearings usually have some type of stop when they are fully seated. Could be a change in shaft size or maybe a snap ring. It's always a good idea to take pictures or make a drawing before, during, and after disassembly to aid in putting it back together. The Shopsmith website has exploded views of the headstock but not the motors. If you think you have weakened the snap ring, replace it, otherwise just straighten it out and re-use it.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Ed - Is it a 3/4 horse General Electric motor?

My MOD (Model?) is 5KC39NG 202. Does this match yours?

If so, I'll post my "drawing" tonight. Not to say I told you so, but I told you to make a drawing.:p

And as long as your this far, what shape is your power cord in? Now would be a good time to replace it.
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Yes, I have the exact same one. Already replaced power cord. Pulled the wires before anyway said something. Hasty. Hasty.

So I'm suspecting that I'm up a creek with the locations for these new bearings...is that so?

Pics tonight... I hope.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

edward wrote:So I'm suspecting that I'm up a creek with the locations for these new bearings...is that so?

Pics tonight... I hope.
Take the bearings to a bearing dealer or motor shop if any are close by. If you have any way to measure (within +-.002") the ID, OD and width, then finding bearings on-line is easy. The number on the bearing can cover several different IDs & ODs so they always need to be measured to make sure of the correct replacement.

If you are unable to measure or find these bearings, I have many different bearings for all the Shopsmith uses available. Let me know and mail the old bearings to me. I will only charge my cost and postage when returning new ones to you. I also stock almost any Shopsmith part if you find you cannot get the part from Shopsmith.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Thanks Bill. That's helpful, and I may be in contact if I can't find the right bearings at my local shop (Rocky Mountain Supply in Fort Collins, CO).

My main concern at the moment is finding the right spot on the shafts where the bearing used to be. I took bearings off the quill (single bearing type), both bearings off motor shaft, and both bearings off drive shaft (the thing connected to quill). I'm hoping there are marking on the shaft that indicate where the old bearings were, but I'm a little doubtful.

Oh, and I'm assuming the bearing puller becomes a bearing "pusher-back-on-the-shaft" tool.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edward wrote:Thanks Bill. That's helpful, and I may be in contact if I can't find the right bearings at my local shop (Rocky Mountain Supply in Fort Collins, CO).

My main concern at the moment is finding the right spot on the shafts where the bearing used to be. I took bearings off the quill (single bearing type), both bearings off motor shaft, and both bearings off drive shaft (the thing connected to quill). I'm hoping there are marking on the shaft that indicate where the old bearings were, but I'm a little doubtful.

Oh, and I'm assuming the bearing puller becomes a bearing "pusher-back-on-the-shaft" tool.
Only if it can reach the other end of the shaft!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange