Project Building Plans

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Project Building Plans

Post by KCollins »

I'm thinking about throwing in my hat to develop plans for building jigs and crafts and wood projects and selling them online...

How many of you guys build form plans and how many of you just kind of wing it?

I'm curious if there is even a market out there for such a product.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kevin
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
KCollins
Gold Member

Re: Project Building Plans

Post by KCollins »

So far (as of 7:50am CST) I have had 37 views of this thread but no comments. Am I to assume that 37 individuals are interested in Design Plans for projects but don't want to admit it here? Otherwise why would they have clicked on it? Or could it be even simpler... they are not members of the forum and thus can only view and not comment. Still... Why click on it unless you're interested in the topic?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

The only time I use plans is if I need to submit something for a building permit. For most of my projects, I may have a sketch and rough dimensions unless it needs to fit a specific space.

With a couple of exceptions, any jigs I've built have been one time use for a specific task and usually disassembled or disposed of once complete. Because my jigs are so specific to a task, I doubt I'd ever find a plan that met my needs without significant modification.

For me personally, no interest in buying plans, but others may.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Thanks Chris... That's good feedback. and along the lines of what I suspected.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I build all my projects in my head so I don't use plans on paper. Trying to follow somebody else's plans just slows me down. Most of my projects end up being one-of-a-kind because I don't have any plans to build another one like it in the future.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Kevin,

I think you will find that there is a large group of people already ahead of you and selling stuff online. I didn't respond initially because I didn't want to discourage you if this is something you want to do. These days, it is typically social media influencers that dominate the marketplace for this. They sell plans and templates and use YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, etc., etc. to get enough eyes on it so that they can sell enough to make a business out of it. Some have even started 3D printing to make tool add-ons, jigs, etc. I am NOT saying you couldn't find your niche with this, but that you have A LOT of competition out there. Check out the Wood Whisperer (Marc Spagnuolo), Bourbon Moth (Jason Hibbs), April Wilkerson, Jonathan Katz Moses, Jay Bates, Izzy Swan, Matthias Wandel, Honey Badger Woodworks, Blake Weber, JSK-koubou, etc. - just to name a few so that you can see what their online stores are like, what they sell, etc. However, there are literally thousands of people/companies selling woodworking project plans, etc. online. I would say the more successful ones (like I listed here), tend to have professional plans drawn in 3D CAD, with elaborate detail on how to build, cut lists, etc. as well as manufactured templates for purchase.

By the way, every time you, or anyone checks, this thread it is counted as another view. Just because there are 37 views doesn't mean that it was 37 people. IF someone looks at the thread more than once, that is more than one view.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Good to know RF Guy thanks.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Except for the simplest projects, I personally prefer to build from plans. I usually create them myself in Fusion 360, as I find design to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of woodworking. To me, it's more efficient and less frustrating to make mistakes and iterations in the virtual world, rather than in wood.

That said, I do occasionally buy plans. Not necessarily with the intent to build to the plan, though. Usually I just want to see how the designer dealt with some joinery detail or the like, to see if I want to incorporate their solution into my own design.

I second everything that RFGuy said about the market for plans, and would also add that the woodworking magazines typically offer a host of plans. So there must be a pretty decent market for them. I'm sure that a lot of woodworkers want to make things without having to figure out all the construction and dimensional details.

Have you gven any thought as to how you would market your plans? Assuming good-quality plans, marketing would almost certainly be key to a successful business.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

I had thought about marketing on YouTube... Like the big guys do. Build it in the video and then have a link to the plans in the description. I have a ton of ideas for just SS Jigs and SPT stuff.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:03 pm I had thought about marketing on YouTube... Like the big guys do. Build it in the video and then have a link to the plans in the description. I have a ton of ideas for just SS Jigs and SPT stuff.
Kevin,

It sounds like you have an idea of what you want to do. That was going to be my next question, i.e. what do you want to accomplish with it? From watching and listening to many a YT woodworker, I would say it is a difficult business to get into for the sole purpose of making money. There are different ways to make money at woodworking. One is the bespoke builder, e.g. woodworkers who build custom furniture and/or house built-ins. IF you have a niche and/or build artistic pieces you can make decent money at this, but it is a hard path. I have witnessed more than one of these bespoke woodworkers switch to selling plans & templates or opening woodworking schools because they make more money doing this with less effort. Then there are those who primarily build crafts and sell them on Etsy or at local fairs, craft shows, etc. My late father-in-law did this. What little income that came in barely supported new tool purchases & lumber and it was really something for him to get out and meet people and give him something to do, i.e. he was never going to make a thriving business out of it. Then there are those who teach woodworking and accordingly sell plans/templates, but there are also those with a heavy investment in CNC equipment and sell plans/templates to keep the equipment utilized. There are actually lots and lots of websites that sell plans for just about anything woodworking related. IMHO, this is why I think you must have a significant social media presence to get interest in your particular plans because the market is already saturated.

For myself, it depends on what I am building. I have constructed plans in my head and built as I went along and it can be A LOT of fun to do this. Other times, I get out an Engineering pad and a ruler and make up plans by hand. Once I get proficient enough at Fusion 360, I am sure I will use it more. On occasion, I will purchase a plan from another woodworker. Not often, but I have used plans a couple of times in the past, e.g. if I really like the look of a particular piece of furniture, etc.

JMO, but I don't find jigs all that useful. More than once I have had someone at a local woodworking club, or a YT video try to convince me that their jig is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Honestly the usefulness of a jig is in the eye of the beholder IMHO. You could show the same jig and explain it to ten people and I guarantee nine of them would have no interest. I do believe there is a subset of woodworkers who spend 90% of their time on making shop jigs and fixtures. While these are sometimes needed, especially for production work, I think some woodworkers enjoy the "optimization" part of being in the shop more than actually building a project. Sharing all of this to let you know that there are many types of woodworkers out there, so you will have to assess what your interests are and try to align them with the particular subset of woodworker or DIYer that has a need to match it. Good luck with it.

P.S. IF you focus on Shopsmith centric items (jigs, SPT stuff, etc.) for your business, you are limiting your potential market by the way. Shopsmith owners are but a subset of the larger woodworking community. Something to consider.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor