Project Building Plans

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Project Building Plans

Post by chapmanruss »

Kevin,

I usually start with an idea of what I want to build. Those ideas can come from anywhere. After working it out in my head I either sketch a simple drawing with measurements or draw it to scale for more complex projects. Those High School Drafting skills come in handy sometimes.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Gosh RF Guy... a lot of things I hadn't considered. But this is exactly why I posted this thread was to see if this was even feasible to do. I'm beginning to think my skills my be better suited in the garage making stuff for family and friends and leaving the side hustle out of it.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:35 pm Gosh RF Guy... a lot of things I hadn't considered. But this is exactly why I posted this thread was to see if this was even feasible to do. I'm beginning to think my skills my be better suited in the garage making stuff for family and friends and leaving the side hustle out of it.
Kevin,

Yeah, I didn't want to discourage you which is why I didn't post initially. My father-in-law never broke even with his business, but he was retired and just enjoyed tinkering in his shop. I know some woodworkers make enough money to break even and even make a small profit selling on Etsy, but it takes A LOT of volume so they have to do more production woodworking techniques to not be in the shop 24/7. Or they invest in CNC's and keep them running. There are lots of ways to make money woodworking, but NONE of them are easy from what I understand. I would focus on doing what you enjoy/love and then see if there are opportunities to make money at it (unless you are trying to replace your primary employment). Another thing to consider is what demand isn't being met locally for you. In some areas of the country you can make money just building corn hole boards, or picnic tables, etc., but in other parts of the country there is either too much supply or no demand. IF you can find that one area of demand, then you can create a successful woodworking business. A thread from a couple of years ago might have some interest. The thread was more specifically about starting up a YT channel, but you may find it of interest.

viewtopic.php?p=267294#p267294

P.S. Definitely check out Bourbon Moth woodworking (Jason Hibbs). His story is kind of interesting. He and his wife created a silk screen business printing t-shirts and other items. He took some of the profit from that business to get into woodworking to do stuff around the house and decided to enter the bespoke furniture business, but he had no portfolio to show clients. So, he offered his labor for free to 5 clients and asked them to just pay the lumber costs. After building for those 5 clients he had created enough of a portfolio to show future clients and his business really took off. Of course, he got semi-famous with his YT channel and I don't think he takes many clients anymore. Many of these social media influencers tend to become a cult of personality at a certain point for better or worse. This is one of the few success stories I have heard of a woodworker entering the bespoke furniture market...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
pdavis1814
Bronze Member

Post by pdavis1814 »

It’s safe to bet that everybody on here is more experienced at woodworking than I am… but maybe that makes me your target audience? I’ve been watching YT videos of woodturning, hobby woodworking and resin/woodwork projects since the start of ‘rona, and I’ve finally pulled the trigger. I just bought a brand new Mark 7 (gotta love Black Friday); I’m still waiting for it to arrive.
And with any project I see on YT and like, one of the first things I’m doing is looking to see if there are links to plans AND any tools or consumables I’m hearing referenced frequently. BUT I’d also be in the market for plans that included any necessary hardware or consumables beyond the basics (drawer slides or lighting or hinges or whatever’s required). Package it as adult (not kiddie/crafter) “intermediate woodworking projects (because nobody wants to admit to being a beginner). Adding $5 worth of hardware is worth $20 -30 it me if I don’t have to go and get it when I’ve finally carved out some time for myself in the workshop. It’s easy to forget that not everybody’s been stocking their shops over years of projects. Some shops start completely from scratch (like mine).
Frankly, I think SS misses a valuable market: it’s forgotten its’ roots. It should be marketed to professionals with discretionary income who want to get into woodworking - a hobby after work - and see SS as a broad, general platform for all of the core hobbyist woodworking functions.

Marketing plans with the necessary extras (plus a shopping list/cut list) that the buyer can source themselves is a market that seems underserved, especially for people with more interest than time, who would value convenient project sourcing.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

pdavis1814 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:58 am Frankly, I think SS misses a valuable market: it’s forgotten its’ roots. It should be marketed to professionals with discretionary income who want to get into woodworking - a hobby after work - and see SS as a broad, general platform for all of the core hobbyist woodworking functions.

Marketing plans with the necessary extras (plus a shopping list/cut list) that the buyer can source themselves is a market that seems underserved, especially for people with more interest than time, who would value convenient project sourcing.
I guess I would have to ask who exactly do you think SS is marketing their products to then? The Mark 7 is a $5k machine and out of reach for many at this price point IMHO. At $5k for just one machine, this sure seems like they are marketing it to "professionals" with A LOT of discretionary income. This doesn't even count adding a dust collector, bandsaw, jointer, planer, clamps, hand tools, lumber, etc., etc. that one needs to get started in woodworking. I can't speak to what SS roots were, but back then I thought the product was priced and marketed to the average homeowner who had "some" discretionary income. JMO.

I am not sure I understand your last comment, but there are quite a few woodworking influencers on YT, IG, etc. that not only sell plans, but project hardware, templates and even partner with lumber yards to sell entire kits of lumber for their projects. IF someone is looking for a turnkey solution to a woodworking project, there are quite a few options out there. Literally you can throw a dart at the wall and hit quite a few online woodworking influencers that peddle this stuff.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So just join the spammer parade.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

You know what they say ,,,, the money isn't in doing the work, its in selling the tools and supplies , if your ideas are good and the plans are accurate and original folks will buy them , if not ,, well you get the picture, JMO . you might be better off selling a kit that can be assembled by a novice ? good luck on your adventure .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:13 pm
pdavis1814 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:58 am Frankly, I think SS misses a valuable market: it’s forgotten its’ roots. It should be marketed to professionals with discretionary income who want to get into woodworking - a hobby after work - and see SS as a broad, general platform for all of the core hobbyist woodworking functions.

I guess I would have to ask who exactly do you think SS is marketing their products to then? The Mark 7 is a $5k machine and out of reach for many at this price point IMHO. At $5k for just one machine, this sure seems like they are marketing it to "professionals" with A LOT of discretionary income. This doesn't even count adding a dust collector, bandsaw, jointer, planer, clamps, hand tools, lumber, etc., etc. that one needs to get started in woodworking. I can't speak to what SS roots were, but back then I thought the product was priced and marketed to the average homeowner who had "some" discretionary income. JMO.
RFGuy to be fair you have to remember that you can purchase a base model Mark 5 from SS for $3500 to make it more affordable. Not to mention with some patients and negotiation you can get all the SPT's for a very affordable price. I think the most I spent for an SPT was $200 bucks and I now have all of them. I have 3 SS's... Two of them are Mark 5s and I paid $100 for each of them. And you are getting 5 machines not one for that price. FB is your friend guys.

Bargains can be had and for the average homeowner with SOME discretionary income a SS can be had.

My two cents.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

JPG wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:20 pm So just join the spammer parade.
I don't follow JPG? Are you saying this thread is a spammer parade?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

KCollins wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:16 pm
JPG wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:20 pm So just join the spammer parade.
I don't follow JPG? Are you saying this thread is a spammer parade?
NO! However a now deleted post was making it so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange