Today in the shop "Collins Tool Miter Clamps"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop "Collins Tool Miter Clamps"

Post by reible »

I'm still not sure I have the name right but it is close enough for the purpose of this post.

I had some left over cheap shelving materials, a matching set of 5 casters and of course a plan. We have a small pantry and have been in the process of reorganizing it. We had one area under shelf where we were stacking taller items but access gets more and more of a chore as we age. To the point that in has been largely abandoned. So having a rolling shelf with sides to keep things from falling off seems like a winner. So now that you know what I'm making lets get into the details relevant to this threads title.

Pictured first is the plier and one of the miter clamps.
clamp11.jpg
clamp11.jpg (272.65 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
The miter clamp is basically a spring with a couple of sharp points bent into a shape that you can use the plier to open and then let closed on a corner.

The set comes with I seem to recall 13 of these miter clamps and a clip that holds them.
clamp12.jpg
clamp12.jpg (315.91 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Here I used 2 miter clamps per corner but a single would more then likely have worked. And yes the sharp points do dig in but depending on the "wood" and application this might not be a problem, as is this case.
clamp13.jpg
clamp13.jpg (176.44 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
clamp14.jpg
clamp14.jpg (338.98 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
You of course apply glue and clamp up then make sure it is "square" or what ever shape you are shooting for. Once the glue is set/dry you can use the plier to remove the clamps.

This is a fast a simple way of clamping when it can be used.

Here is a shot of the bottom with the casters mounted:
clamp15.jpg
clamp15.jpg (285.68 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
And the finished product:
clamp16.jpg
clamp16.jpg (271.95 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
And so it was.

It appears that what I purchased was the "PROFESSIONAL SYSTEM". List price is now $65 but I did not shop current prices which I would hope be better then this.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop "Collins Tool Miter Clamps"

Post by reible »

It looks like you can get the basic version, just missing the holder, for about $47 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083F883X7?ps ... ct_details

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop "Collins Tool Miter Clamps"

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’ve had a set of those for a couple of years. They work great (much faster than a corner block and two clamps per corner), as long as the pinpricks left by the clamp points aren’t a problem for your project. That’s assuming your miter angles are accurate.