Jessem Loose Tenon Jig

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Jessem Loose Tenon Jig

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:55 pm There might be two versions. They did something like that a while back with a similar drill bit based jig called, IIRC, Mortise Mill and Pocket Mortise Mill. Similar in some ways to the current product, which uses an end mill instead of a drill bit. One major difference being that the earlier offering might have intended to compete with the Domino style, rather than leverage its popularity. (It made imperial sized mortises.)

- David
David,

Yeah, hard to say until they actually release the product. So far what I have shared is all pre-release stuff published on the dreaded social media...If you look in the picture for this latest one though it makes the exact same "Domino" looking floating tenon mortise. It could be 2 products, but I suspect someone pointed out to them that they mis-labeled it in their earlier promotion claiming it was a loose "tenon" jig. Haven't seen a single tenon made with it yet though... :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Latest video shows 4 "tenons" completed in 1 min 57 seconds. I really wish someone would explain to the guys at Jessem what the difference is between a mortise and a tenon. This is really starting to get embarrassing for them. :o Still, 4 mortises bored in just under 2 minutes is at least 10x slower than doing the same operation using a Festool Domino. Just saying...

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, it is officially launched as a pre-order now for the bargain basement low price of $349.99 American US Dollars. It slices, it dices, but wait...there's more! :D It's official launch name has been changed to "Pocket Mill Pro - Loose Tenon System", Model # 08250. It comes with a 6mm carbide end mill, but 5mm, 8mm, 10mm, 1/4" and 3/8" end mills are available separately. You are expected to make or purchase your own tenon stock separately. It is also sold as a kit with a Baltic Birch workstation and Micro Jig clamps as an option. I still say it is an ingenious design and it looks well made like all of Jessem's products, but at this price point I have to question the value of this compared to other joinery methods or springing just a few more bucks for a Festool Domino. JMO.

Inside the carriage there are two indexing plates under spring pressure. With each side-to-side pass one of the indexing plates engages with one of the indexing pins as it walks itself down 0.050 thousandths of an inch until the desired depth. Once your cut is complete, simply press the release button and the Pocket Mill Pro pops back up into the start position.

The Pocket Mill Pro has three bearings that hold the End Mill perfectly straight throughout the cut. Add in a custom stainless-steel bushing and this relieves any possible flex from the endmill as it cuts its way through the material.

JessEm is proud to launch the Pocket Mill Pro Loose Tenon Joinery System. No matter what your skill level, the Pocket Mill Pro will make high quality accurate mortises with a simple hand drill. Made out of anodized aluminum and stainless-steel components, the Pocket Mill Pro creates perfect mortises using our patent pending step down process. With each side-to-side pass, the jig automatically drops 0.050 thousandths of an inch, working its way through your material until you have that perfect mortise complete. The JessEm Pocket Mill Pro will take anyone’s woodworking skill to the next level.

Product expected to ship at the end of January 2023.

PocketMillPro.jpg
PocketMillPro.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
PocketMillPro_2.jpg
PocketMillPro_2.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
PocketMillPro_3.jpg
PocketMillPro_3.jpg (129.19 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Did you happen to notice how the jig controls length of the slot mortise? With all of the sizes of cutters 'available' this seems like a challenge. And may require relocating the jig to complete the mortise.(?) I didn't see anything in the specs or on the JessEm site about this. But for that matter I don't really know how the Festool does it either.
RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:28 pm ... or springing just a few more bucks for a Festool Domino. JMO...
"A few" seems optimistic. Isn't the entry level Domino $1K+ ? And the large one like $1600?

- David
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The Jessem jig seems to use the drill as a small router, moving the handle of the jig back and forth moves the cutter the distance required to cut the mortise. Same idea just a different method of how the cutter is guided and a different power tool. I have the 10 Minute Workshop loose tenoning jig for routers, here is a link so you can see what it looks like. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1219834143 ... _active_15 It was designed to use a guide bushing and a 5mm router bit for the 5mm dominoes. However, if you use a 8mm or a 10mm router bit with the same bushing you can use the 8mm or 10mm dominoes respectively. The cutter size difference makes up the difference in width of the dominoes in relation to the guide and the template. The 5/16 and 3/8 router bits work but the fit is a little tight but a couple of swipes with some sandpaper is all that is needed.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:55 pm Did you happen to notice how the jig controls length of the slot mortise? With all of the sizes of cutters 'available' this seems like a challenge. And may require relocating the jig to complete the mortise.(?) I didn't see anything in the specs or on the JessEm site about this. But for that matter I don't really know how the Festool does it either.
RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:28 pm ... or springing just a few more bucks for a Festool Domino. JMO...
"A few" seems optimistic. Isn't the entry level Domino $1K+ ? And the large one like $1600?

- David
David,

Thanks. No, I don't know how the Jessem jig controls anything and that is a good catch you make about its operation and compatibility. For the Festool Domino's I believe the sizes are 5 mm tenons are 19 mm wide, 6 mm tenons are 20 mm wide, 8 mm tenons are 22 mm wide and the 10mm are 24 mm wide. This raises a good point about comparing the Jessem product to the Festool Domino. Also, another feature that the Festool Domino has is the ability for each tenon to adjust how tight in width it fits in the mortise. On the default setting, every tenon size fits perfectly snug in 2 axes, which guarantees both vertical and horizontal alignment of the pieces being joined. However, you can set different looser width modes, if you choose. These are helpful, e.g. in making a panel from solid lumber. Only one of the loose tenons need a snug width fit to guarantee both vertical and horizontal alignment, then the rest can be made at the looser width setting because only vertical alignment is required of the rest. It just makes glue-up and assembly easier than trying to thread multiple tenons on a panel which requires perfect placement accuracy of every mortise.

Mortise depth can easily be set with a slider on the Festool Domino and presumably the width adjusts automatically via the difference in cutter size diameter for it. How exactly do you set the depth of cut on the Jessem product? Maybe it is obscured in the photos, but I don't see a depth control, though I know it has one. My point is I wonder how easy it is to adjust things like this on the Jessem compared to the Domino? As for price, well in for a penny, in for a pound right? :) I just think if you are going to spend this kind of money on a "jig" that you would be willing to spend significantly less for a better working router jig or spend a bit more for the Domino. In the sizes Jessem lists it ONLY competes with the smaller Festool Domino df500. The df700 is a much larger beast from Festool and does mortises suitable for making doors, large furniture, etc. The df700 Domino sizes are 8mm, 10mm, 12mm & 14mm, though with an adapter from Seneca you can do all of the df500 sizes with it as well. A bit cumbersome though because the df700 is huge compared to the df500.
Last edited by RFGuy on Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:01 am The Jessem jig seems to use the drill as a small router, moving the handle of the jig back and forth moves the cutter the distance required to cut the mortise. Same idea just a different method of how the cutter is guided and a different power tool. I have the 10 Minute Workshop loose tenoning jig for routers, here is a link so you can see what it looks like. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1219834143 ... _active_15 It was designed to use a guide bushing and a 5mm router bit for the 5mm dominoes. However, if you use a 8mm or a 10mm router bit with the same bushing you can use the 8mm or 10mm dominoes respectively. The cutter size difference makes up the difference in width of the dominoes in relation to the guide and the template. The 5/16 and 3/8 router bits work but the fit is a little tight but a couple of swipes with some sandpaper is all that is needed.
Brenda,

Thanks. Yeah, I like Peter Millard (10 Minute Workshop) and often catch his content on YT. I saw that loose tenon jig from him recently on his channel. Does it work well for you? I like these router based jigs for making loose tenons. I am sure I would have at least a couple of them by now if I hadn't broken down and bought the Domino. With a good palm router and one of these jigs I really think one could run circles around this new Jessem jig. That is my point...even though I love Jessem as a company and love many of their products, I just can't get behind this new product for them. It just seems clunky in operation and MUCH slower than other methods IMHO. After making a few mortises with it, I'll bet one will start to get hand fatigue from a) holding drill in one hand for extended operation and b) pulling mortise depth drop bar back and forth over and over again.
📶RF Guy

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:39 am
Thanks. Yeah, I like Peter Millard (10 Minute Workshop) and often catch his content on YT. I saw that loose tenon jig from him recently on his channel. Does it work well for you? I like these router based jigs for making loose tenons. I am sure I would have at least a couple of them by now if I hadn't broken down and bought the Domino. With a good palm router and one of these jigs I really think one could run circles around this new Jessem jig. That is my point...even though I love Jessem as a company and love many of their products, I just can't get behind this new product for them. It just seems clunky in operation and MUCH slower than other methods IMHO. After making a few mortises with it, I'll bet one will start to get hand fatigue from a) holding drill in one hand for extended operation and b) pulling mortise depth drop bar back and forth over and over again.
I like the jig and am finding I use it more than I thought I would. The main problem I see with the Jessem is the side load on the drill as the jig uses it as a router. It can not be good for the run out on the drill chuck over time.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Looks like Jessem added an angle adjustment guide to their Pocket Mill Pro:

📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I was unaware that this is the 2nd version of this tool from Jessem. I stumbled across the Jessem "Pocket Mortise Mill" that was available to purchase back around 2013, but went out of manufacture shortly after due to low sales/interest. So, the new Pocket Mill Pro - Loose Tenon System is a revamped version of this older product from Jessem. Online reviews that I found for the original design weren't exactly glowing, so hopefully the new product has improved. I included the video below from someone that owns a Pocket Mortise Mill that describes it a bit more. Jessem indicated that the drop down mechanism for the Pocket Mill Pro steps down in increments of 50 thousandths of an inch on each pass and this mechanism is patented. Presumably this was patented on the original Pocket Mortise Mill design and if so, the patent likely only has a few years left on it then. Hence they are trying to reintroduce this product before this patent expires, or at least that is my guess. Patents are expensive to obtain so this is likely their last chance to capitalize on it before others can copy the design. Hopefully this new one will sell more than the original design for them.

Excerpt describing the discontinued Jessem Pocket Mortise Mill:
JessEm Pocket Zip Slot Mortise Mill Overview
There has never been an easier, more economical way to cut mortises than the JessEm Pocket Zip Slot mortise mill. The JessEm Pocket Zip Slot mortise mill includes a 1/4-inch guide bushing with bearing, a special 1/4-inch drill bit, a stop collar, sample 1/4-inch x 1-1/8-inch hardwood tenons and detailed instructions.

JessEm Pocket Zip Slot Mortise Mill Features
Make a mortise-and-tenon joint fast using a portable drill
Includes a 1/4-inch guide bushing with bearing, a special 1/4-inch drill bit, and stop collar
Also includes sample 1/4-inch x 1-1/8-inch hardwood tenons and detailed instructions
JessemPocketMortiseMill.jpg
JessemPocketMortiseMill.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
📶RF Guy