Wrapping a Board around a Box... a start

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Wrapping a Board around a Box... a start

Post by nuhobby »

A long time ago I could view the Nick Engler tip for wrapping a board around a box. I have at least snipped the description into this photo. Anyway, the technique is well known.

Here's a start! That's one big resaw of a plank (on a Shopsmith bandsaw), and then a careful sectioning of each remaining board into 'long' and 'short' sides:

Using a Shop Tip.JPG
Using a Shop Tip.JPG (225.35 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

Happy woodworking!

Chris
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Wrapping a Board around a Box... a start

Post by garys »

Many times it is simply efficient use of the wood to eliminate waste rather than trying to match up the pieces.
chisels.jpg
chisels.jpg (123.48 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

That's a very nice chisel box...looks sort of like a briefcase.

Which reminds me. I once had the idea to make wooden briefcases. I thought they would appeal to lawyers and Wall Street types who would pay $$$ if the cases were well-enough made. Exotic veneer, grain-matching, finger joints, fitted brass corners etc. Would also need to be light yet durable, and scuff/dent resistant.

For me, too many other and more important projects got in the way.

Has anyone here tried to do wooden briefcases?
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SteveMaryland wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:44 am
Has anyone here tried to do wooden briefcases?
I have seen wooden briefcases before. I don't know if anyone on the forum has done this, but they have certainly been done. You can buy commercial versions off of Amazon and there are individual woodworkers that sell them on Etsy. Only problem is no one really uses a briefcase anymore.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

Woodsmith Magazine April 1986 Issue 44 has plans for a wooden briefcase. I considered making it at the time, but thought it might be too heavy. Woodsmith Magazine always had very good step by step plans.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My old brief case is now a home for my laptop(and ancillary devices) when traveling.

Ancillary devices are small mouse, remote keyboard, dvd drive(usb(2)) and ethernet dongle(also usb(3)).

FWIW Lenovo keyboard and touch pad sucks (no right click button, cursor positioning keys replaced by media control keys..play/stop/skip...) But the price was GOOD!.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:52 pm FWIW Lenovo keyboard and touch pad sucks (no right click button, cursor positioning keys replaced by media control keys..plat/stop/skip...) But the price was GOOD!.
JPG,

Yeah, it was cheap because they want you to buy it so they can steal all of your data!!! Quite a few articles have circulated out there relating to spyware and malware pre-installed on Lenovo laptops at the factory. I saw it myself personally on a Lenovo laptop that I had for work at one company. Most of my IT friends will never purchase a Lenovo laptop as a result of all this.
Caveat Emptor.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Too Late! The deed is done.

My "data" is not likely particularly interesting to them.

FWIW I have not run anything from them other than a service/function issue log.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We are way off topic again but as a simple solution to resident spyware/malware - just do a clean install of Windows. Almost as easy as complaining.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:40 am We are way off topic again but as a simple solution to resident spyware/malware - just do a clean install of Windows. Almost as easy as complaining.
Dusty,

Are you complaining about complaining? :) Seriously though, I was just trying to raise awareness to a real concern, especially if one uses their laptop for online banking. NO laptop should come pre-installed with spyware from the manufacturer, but Lenovo has been caught red-handed with this in the past. Maybe their newer ones don't have this issue, but I am not about to find out.
📶RF Guy