Special Purpose Tool Storage

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cobbinetmaker
Bronze Member

Special Purpose Tool Storage

Post by cobbinetmaker »

Has anyone stored Special Purpose Tools on a French Cleat Wall?
I'm fitting out a shop in a tiny (12' x 16') shed.
I have a bandsaw, jigsaw, jointer and flatbed sander that I need to store out of the way when not in use on my SS 510.
I will incorporate the SS Mounting Bases on bracketed bases to hang with the cleats.
BillVan
Silver Member

Re: Special Purpose Tool Storage

Post by BillVan »

Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg
Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
I store mine on the back wall of my garage, Take note that the jointer is the heaviest and may be difficult to store on a high shelf
Bill V
Attachments
Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg
Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My setup is similar to BillVan's. I have a shelf on the back wall that holds most of my tools. Originally I had it mounted high enough so my Shopsmith fit under it, but last year, I moved the shelf lower because my back would no longer handle lifting things off and on the shelf that high.
My planer doesn't fit that shelt so I made a rolling cart for it. I can easily roll it into any unused space when not needed and roll it out beside the Shopsmith when I need it.
spt1.jpg
spt1.jpg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
spt2.jpg
spt2.jpg (113.65 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

cobbinetmaker,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. I didn't respond to your post Sunday when I first read it since I store most of my SPT''s on a rolling cabinet I made. I believe the lack of responses may be due to the specific request of storage ideas using a French Cleat Wall. I am no help there either and I have not used that type of storage. My first thought on using a French Cleat Wall for storing SPT's would be the safe weight capacity the cleats can handle. As Bill said the Jointer is quite heavy. Having a flexible storage system like that would be a plus when things change as additional tools could be added. Something that is more difficult with the rolling cabinet type storage I have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I share the concern Russ has about the weight, but also about the tool holder staying stuck to the tool and wanting to lift up from the cleat wall when you try to lift it off. You will likely cause back issues trying to lift and separate the tool from the holder in the cleat if you attempt this while removing it. I know there are options for making locking french cleats, but honestly I never have seen a good system online by anyone that makes a french cleat wall really excel at holding tools and being easily reconfigurable and not have the risk of either tools falling off/to the floor or holders becoming dislodged. Even though a french cleat tool wall looks neat, I have been hesitant to try it because of the issues associated with them. IF anyone has come up with a better mouse trap for this please share it, but be warned I have seen pretty much every variation on french cleat locking holders online and all of them have pros & cons...so I am a skeptic in this area.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Secret is LOOSE fit of the posts in the holes. Realize that inserting/removing them is unlikely to be "straight".

Sez one who is merely considering the french cleat approach.

Farmer has been relative silent recently, but he uses this approach.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:16 am Even though a french cleat tool wall looks neat, I have been hesitant to try it because of the issues associated with them. IF anyone has come up with a better mouse trap for this please share it, but be warned I have seen pretty much every variation on french cleat locking holders online and all of them have pros & cons...so I am a skeptic in this area.
I have been wary of this approach also. Yes, neat looking system, but I think for heavy tools it's problematic. This might be a good idea for my handheld power tools but Shopsmith SPTs are large and heavy. I'd be worried about the space needed around them on French Cleats so they don't knock off other tools while taking the SPTs on and off the shelves.

If I were dreaming up something I'd take a length of heavy plank, maybe a 2x12, and mount on legs with wheels at Shopsmith height and drill a series of holes to hold multiple SPTs. I don't think it would take up much more room than the tools hung on French Cleats and you can wheel the tools over to the machine and get a little more time from your back working as a lifting and carrying device.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER