table extension brackets

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

80spiders
Gold Member

table extension brackets

Post by 80spiders »

I see that SS has the extension brackets on sale. I am on the fence - no pun intended - I currently do not have any need for them but if and when I do need a set, will I be sorry I did not take advantage of (1) the sale and (2 - the thing more important to me) I have it now and can put it to use rather than having to wait? I know patience is virtue but it is one of several that left me when I started riding the school bus. :)
So say it the experts here - are these extension brackets a must have? Thanks for the input as always.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: table extension brackets

Post by RFGuy »

I bought a set when they went on sale a couple of years ago. They are definitely an interesting concept, but I haven't used mine as much as I would have liked as of yet. Are there easier to setup than a suitable outfeed table (Shopsmith brand or not)? Debatable, but still a neat concept.
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I like mine and use them regularly. I would not classify them as a must-have. But generally some form of additional infeed/outfeed support comes into play regularly for me and I chose expansion of the 520 table system as a way to achieve that. If you're the guy that wants a second extension table and additional floating tables, these are a nice addition.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have a pair of the brackets and do use them when I want to have an infeed or outfeed table. Mostly used for an outfeed table. Although not necessarily a must have I like the flexibility they provide as opposed to using floating tables as in/outfeed tables without them. That is much more limiting. Having a Mark 7 and a Mark V 520 plus an extra pair of floating tables (six total) I can have so many different table configurations. I have been thinking of ordering a second pair. With a second pair I could have both infeed and outfeed tables at the same time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

thank you guys for your input on this. I work with a 520 and I picked up a 510 about two months ago for the SPT's that came with it. I have been wondering how I could incorporate with my 520 the floating tables that came with that second machine, the 510. This just may be the ticket I have been looking for...getting two sets and using one as an infeed with the 520 floaters and one as an outfeed with the 510 floaters.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you are probably aware the connector tubes are at different heights relative to the table's top between the 520 and 510 fence rail types. There may be enough adjustment in the brackets to make up for the difference but I cannot confirm that.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:02 pm As you are probably aware the connector tubes are at different heights relative to the table's top between the 520 and 510 fence rail types. There may be enough adjustment in the brackets to make up for the difference but I cannot confirm that.
Russ,

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with this when using mine on my 520 table system. Should be fine.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

RFGuy,

Were you using a combination of the 520 and 510 Floating Tables?

80spiders has both a 520 and a 510. Using both 520 & 510 Floating Tables together in a setup is what I was wondering if can be done. Example - Mark V 520 for the Main, Extension and possibly Floating Tables with 510 Floating Tables as the outfeed tables.
Russ

Mark V 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:35 pm RFGuy,

Were you using a combination of the 520 and 510 Floating Tables?

80spiders has both a 520 and a 510. Using both 520 & 510 Floating Tables together in a setup is what I was wondering if can be done. Example - Mark V 520 for the Main, Extension and possibly Floating Tables with 510 Floating Tables as the outfeed tables.
Russ,

I can't say for sure, but my understanding is you can't mix and match them like this, especially if you are using the table extension brackets. Sorry, I didn't originally catch this point when I replied earlier. Thanks for pointing this out.
📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:02 pm ...There may be enough adjustment in the brackets to make up for the difference but I cannot confirm that.
I'll double check, but IIRC you are almost maxed out on the adjustment using it for 520's. It would take A LOT more to use the bracket to transition from 520 Main to 510 floating table. Possibly just replacing the long setscrew with a much longer bolt.(?)

But - I've seen where someone used floating tables with a 510 tube on one end and a 520 extrusion on the other to reduce cost. That works in several situations because you are using the adjustable legs on the '510 end.' And I've used 510 tables with 520 system using the trick of reversing the extension table on the outfeed side. I don't use this anymore, I prefer having ample 520 tables.

- David