10er Speed Changer grinding against itself

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Seezle
Gold Member

10er Speed Changer grinding against itself

Post by Seezle »

I was cutting some wood with my Shopsmith 10er when the saw slowed a bit biting into it. Full stop, unplug, investigate. To my horror, I saw the outmost sleeve of the speed changer was touching/grinding against one of its supports. Last two steps: review the manuals, then post for help.

I'm trying to figure out how to back the sheave-pulley further down the spindle, but I'm really cautious about fixing something before I know what happened. Where have I gone wrong? And more importantly, the fix?
LeGrind.jpg
LeGrind.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
LeYikes.jpg
LeYikes.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Any help is greatly appreciated -
=================
Scott E.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: 10er Speed Changer grinding against itself

Post by jsburger »

The outer sheaves are held in place with set screws. Probably the one in your sheave has loosened and allowed the sheave to move. There are two different speed changer manuals. One has more service/trouble shooting info in it than the other one. There is a measurement for the distance between the two outer sheaves. You need to set the sheaves to the specified distance and tighten the set screw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Seezle
Gold Member

Post by Seezle »

Aces John, thanks for the tip - I'll search for those measurements and make sure it's sorted.
=================
Scott E.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

The distance recommended on the Trouble Shooting page is not to exceed 2" on the Instructions in the PDF attached below.

_ .
Ideally the belts should be set so one belt is at the outer edge of the pulley while the other belt is just short of touching the inner sleeve. 2" will achieve that with a new pair of belts. As the belts wear adjusting the sheaves inward will correct for wear keeping them in the correct position.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Also see the Speed Changer Setup article on Skip Campbell's web page.

http://www.mkctools.com/speed%20changer%20setup.htm
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,