Two carriage bolts and knurled nuts?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nduanetesh
Gold Member

Two carriage bolts and knurled nuts?

Post by nduanetesh »

In assembling/sorting/aligning my new-to-me model 510, I found a small plastic bag with a pair of carriage bolts and knurled nuts that I can't figure out the purpose of. I had thought maybe one of them was the leveling bolt for the front edge of the bandsaw table, but the bolt seems way too long for that. Also, there being a pair of them is kind of confusing. I've included a photo of them and a photo of the box they were in (with the rest of the accessories). If it's at all helpful, this is a Mark V, 510, which came with a 6" belt sander, a jointer, a bandsaw (with all the accessories but without a table), a tenon tool, a mortising tool, and the universal lathe tool rest. Any ideas? Thanks!
Attachments
PXL_20221201_231122420.jpg
PXL_20221201_231122420.jpg (180.29 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
PXL_20221201_230803701.jpg
PXL_20221201_230803701.jpg (197.68 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Two carriage bolts and knurled nuts?

Post by reible »

My guess would be for the wooden auxiliary fence for the miter gauge......
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am not gonna guess. That is exactly what they are. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nduanetesh
Gold Member

Post by nduanetesh »

Excellent! Thanks guys!
nduanetesh
Gold Member

Post by nduanetesh »

Rather than clutter up the forum with another post...

Since I don't have the bandsaw table leveling bolt, is there any reason I couldn't use a carriage bolt, 1/4"x1" with a flat washer and wing nut? I assume that's what the original would have been (but with knurled nut instead of wing nut).
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The bandsaw table leveling screw part is a 5/16" - 18 x 1" set screw. You may find that a 1-1/4" set screw also works.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:24 pm The bandsaw table leveling screw part is a 5/16" - 18 x 1" set screw. You may find that a 1-1/4" set screw also works.
I believe nduanetesh is talking about the bolt at the front of the table that keeps the two halves level at the blade removal slot,

Any bolt and nut that fits should work just fine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

nduanetesh,

The 1-1/2" Long Carriage Bolts are for the wooden auxiliary fence for the miter gauge. The Aluminum Bandsaw Table uses the same size Carriage Bolt except only 1" long and the same Knurled Nut as shown below. If you get an Aluminum Table to replace the missing one on your Bandsaw you could use the longer 1-1/2" carriage bolt. It would have about a 1/2" of thread extending below the nut so use caution not to get caught on it.

_
BS Table bolt and nut.jpg
BS Table bolt and nut.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Depending how you buy a replacement table it may or may not come with the carriage bolt and knurled nut. If you have the trunnions on your Bandsaw, you can buy the Aluminum Table Upgrade which should have everything you would need or if buying one used check what comes with it.

If it were me, I would keep the 1-1/2"long carriage bolts as is and buy a 1" long carriage bolt for the Bandsaw Table if needed. You never know when having a wooden auxiliary fence on the miter gauge may come in handy and they are easy to make.

The Cast Iron Bandsaw Table uses a different way of keeping the table split inline.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
nduanetesh
Gold Member

Post by nduanetesh »

Russ and JSBurger are correct; I was referring to that carriage bolt that keeps the two halves of the table level to each other, which the manual calls the "table leveling screw". The set screw that acts as the table's 0 degree stop is referred to as the "Table height screw" in the manual. Personally, I would have called that the leveling screw, but [shrug].

I did order the replacement aluminum table from Shopsmith. It came with bolts and washers to hold it to the trunnions, but it did not come with the leveling screw or knurled nut. Everything else associated with the bandsaw (including the fence, table extension, and circle cutter) is all present and was in the original packaging. ACTUALLY, now that I think about it, something else is missing...

I don't have the posts to mount the bandsaw to the Mark V that are shown in the bandsaw parts explosion (basically your standard slightly eccentric mounting posts). What I do have is a separate box labeled Part No 555626 "Special Eccentric Pack (BND)". It pretty clear that these are to mount the bandsaw offset far enough to allow the way tubes to be raised in the vertical position with the bandsaw mounted on the Mark V. I've set them up and they work great. What I'm wondering is, is it possible these were sent *instead of* the regular mounting tubes? Or would these have been ordered as an accessory, and would they have arrived in addition to the original mounting tubes? (The question I'm getting at is, am I missing a pair of mounting tubes and was my table leveling screw lost with them?)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't know about the eccentric mounting tubes. I believe they were originally introduced as an accessory. I don't know about now.

I certainly think the table leveling screw should be included with the table. It is not an accessory. It is listed in the table parts list and is part of the table. I would contact SS. I am sure they will send you one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT