Two carriage bolts and knurled nuts?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Two carriage bolts and knurled nuts?

Post by edma194 »

The 'table keeper' certainly should be included with the upgrade. There isn't one like that on the old iron table to reuse with the new one. The old table used a plate and 2 screws that crosses the split under the table. The 'keeper' on my brand new used aluminum table appears to be the same as the one used on the strip sander, although maybe the screws are different lengths, I didn't put them side by side. I went through the upgrade because I wanted the T-slot to use with a bandsaw sled. Overall It wasn't worth the effort, I don't have the cross slot available any more, and locking the table in position is more difficult now. The weight of the old table would hold the trunnions down on the bolt they rotate on, the light weight of the aluminum table means I have to check the the angle of the blade sideways and fore/aft any time I loosen up the table. Although I shouldn't need to tilt this machine up into drill press mode it's a problem that still bothers other who do that because the table gets in the way. There are special offset mounting tubes available but those also get complaints.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

On this page for the miter gauge, next to the picture of the stop rod accessory, there's a picture of a wooden auxiliary fence showing the knurled knobs that go on the carriage bolts. I can't find those knobs and bolts listed individually, but perhaps with the upgrade kit in question someone grabbed the wrong parts or assumed they could be uses as substitutes.

Or just look at this picture.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

nduanetesh,

The Bandsaw Table Retro-Fit Kit part number 555487 should have included "table leveling screw" carriage bolt and knurled nut as shown in the online catalog. The "table height screw" set screw and lock nut along with the bolts and washers should be included too. As John suggested contact Shopsmith and they should send you the missing parts.

The Bandsaw should include the standard Eccentric Mounting Posts current part number 5137779 when new from the factory unless Shopsmith has recently changed which eccentric tubes are included. The standard eccentric posts are the same ones used for the Belt Sander and Scroll Saw. I don't see an advantage for Shopsmith to include the special eccentric posts now since the Mark V 520s, Mark 7 and Mark 4 all appear to come with Double Tilt Ends which require all SPT's to be removed when tilting the tool.

One of the challenges, especially for someone new to Shopsmith Tools, is knowing what should come with any particular Shopsmith Tool when new. Add to that what are additional accessories or upgrades.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.