Miter saw mounted to adjustable table?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mudder
Silver Member

Miter saw mounted to adjustable table?

Post by Mudder »

Thanks for allowing me to join, first post. Just got an extra Mark V and curious if (or should) the adjustable height table can be used as a dedicated mount for a 65 pound Bosch sliding miter saw? Have already removed the bad SS motor. Searched/found good posts for removable miter saw mounts on tubes, but considering a SS table mount only raised 2 inches above bottoming out. If not I would just mount it to tubes. Already have a 500 and 510 set up for other tasks. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
3A9B1252-E0BB-4AF9-92AC-E275BEF02E8C.jpeg
3A9B1252-E0BB-4AF9-92AC-E275BEF02E8C.jpeg (603.44 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Miter saw mounted to adjustable table?

Post by JPG »

IIWM, I would secure a plywood shelf to to way tubes and mount the saw on that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Well-the PowerPro headstock weighs about 70 lbs..so i dont think you are near a weigh limit but that does look like it need some further securing :)

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I think the OP is asking whether anyone has ever mounted a miter saw directly to the main table. I believe he has seen the posts related to making a waytube mounted platform to hold a miter saw, but I believe he wants to directly mount it to the main table instead. He is wondering whether the carriage can handle the weight of a miter saw on top of it. I believe he has other Mark V models that he uses, but this new one had a bad motor. You can see in the image, I believe, that he already removed the headstock to make room for the miter saw.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mudder,

First off, welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

The only area of concern I would have in mounting a Miter Saw to the Main Table is the possibility of quickly wearing and breaking off the teeth on the Pinion Gear with that weight. The Pinion Gears are on either end of the Pinion Shaft which raises and lowers the Table and are shown in the picture below.

_
Mark 5 Carriage table raising-lock shaft assembly early.jpg
Mark 5 Carriage table raising-lock shaft assembly early.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
I have had to replace a pair on a Mark V I restored that the teeth were broken.

I see you have already removed the Headstock but left the Main Table and Carriage. I would suggest you mount the Miter Saw to the Way Tubes on a wood base and you could use the Main Table on one side of the Miter and the Extension Table on the other side for extra support of what you are cutting. Later if you replace the motor and wish to return the Mark V to its original use you would not have made any changes to the Main Table or other parts that would also need replacing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mudder
Silver Member

Post by Mudder »

From OP. Thanks all for the prompt replies. Good point Russ on the pinion gear teeth as a weak link in the load, photo was helpful. I’ll make a plywood mount to way tubes and use the SS table for an infeed support.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Here are some more ideas on miter saw mounting on the waytubes to consider (see link below). Good luck.

viewtopic.php?p=276200#p276200
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Would you plan to lock the table and leave it in one place, or do you plan to use the table height adjustment to raise and lower the saw (not sure why you'd want to do that)? If the table is fixed, the weight will be borne by the table height lock rather than the pinions. When you remove a headstock, you use the table height lock to support the way tubes against the weight of the headstock, so the lock would seem to be plenty sturdy for holding your saw. Whether the lock would continue to hold its setting with the vibration of the saw is another matter.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

IMO clamping the saw permanently would limit the potential , I use the main table and and extension tables on both ends for support , using the main table the saw and tables can be raised up or down , I have not had any issues with the main tables and the weight in this configuration because the main table only supports the saw , I have used a 12 in compound miter and a 10 inch compound miter , am not very good at looking back through the post but I did post some pictures of set up working with some pretty hefty lumber , I have cut 6x6 hickory 10ft long using a extra roller from Harbor Freight on the tail end, you can also use a fence with your extension tables and slide the carriage and saw to create a stop . I just clamp the saw to the main table . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:02 pm IMO clamping the saw permanently would limit the potential , I use the main table and and extension tables on both ends for support , using the main table the saw and tables can be raised up or down , I have not had any issues with the main tables and the weight in this configuration because the main table only supports the saw , I have used a 12 in compound miter and a 10 inch compound miter , am not very good at looking back through the post but I did post some pictures of set up working with some pretty hefty lumber , I have cut 6x6 hickory 10ft long using a extra roller from Harbor Freight on the tail end, you can also use a fence with your extension tables and slide the carriage and saw to create a stop . I just clamp the saw to the main table . JMO
Yeah, this is kind of what I was thinking when I read this thread to begin with. Was wondering if the intent was also to be able to raise it vertically for cutoff support with an aux table, etc.
📶RF Guy