Quill Feed Depth Stop

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pds0006
Gold Member

Quill Feed Depth Stop

Post by pds0006 »

The depth stop on my quill feed isn't working. I set it for a 1" depth and then extend the quill feed, but the quill keeps going right past 1" and in fact the depth gauge starts to advance as well. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong and how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Patrick
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Is the depth stock lock maybe dirty and causing it to slip?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Quill Feed Depth Stop

Post by billmayo »

pds0006 wrote:The depth stop on my quill feed isn't working. I set it for a 1" depth and then extend the quill feed, but the quill keeps going right past 1" and in fact the depth gauge starts to advance as well. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong and how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Patrick
This can be caused by several problems. Remove the Feed Stop Handle. There should be a Serrated washer, Feed Stop and another Serrated washer next to be removed. Look inside the Feed Stop, there should be a tang/projection inside the large part. If not, it needs replacing. The quill feed spring housing should have a smilar tang/projection sticking up that the Feed Stop goes over. The tang in the Feed Stop hitting the tang on the quill feed spring housing is what stops the quill from extending pass the set depth. I find the quill feed housing tang has been set other than on top or broken off will cause this problem. The Serrated washers lock the Feed Stop to the quill feed shaft when the Feed Stop Handle is tighten and will rotate with the shaft.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Pull the handle and guage off. Make sure the tab is pointed up towards the set screw and make sure the set screw is tight.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
billmayo
Platinum Member

Quill Feed Depth Stop

Post by billmayo »

I just found a Shopsmith headstock that had the serrated washers with the rough sides facing away from the Feed Stop and therefore did not lock securely the Feed Stop to the quill Feed shaft to set the depth of the quill.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)