SS height

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RonBaker
Bronze Member

SS height

Post by RonBaker »

I am pretty new to turning wood on a lathe, but I find the shopsmith is just too low to be comfortable when using the lathe. (I'm 6'1"). Has anyone built a platform to raise it up to a comfortable height?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: SS height

Post by RFGuy »

RonBaker wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:11 pm I am pretty new to turning wood on a lathe, but I find the shopsmith is just too low to be comfortable when using the lathe. (I'm 6'1"). Has anyone built a platform to raise it up to a comfortable height?
Ron,

Welcome to the forum! I am 6'0" and share your concerns. I haven't built a platform because often for long turning sessions I sit on a shop stool now which helps the height issue. There were some ideas on different methods to raise/lower it on the thread linked below:

viewtopic.php?p=286961#p286961
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RonBaker
Bronze Member

Post by RonBaker »

I may try the shop stool next time. If I raise it very much then I'd run into a problem with the bandsaw. Kind of a darned it you do and darned if you don't deal. Thanks for the input. Those were the main reason I bought it.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ron,

Yeah, it isn't the most ergonomic setup unfortunately, so it is a compromise using a stool for woodturning. Honestly, if I had a larger shop, I would probably have a standalone lathe at the appropriate height.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

The problem is that other woodworking machines tend to be lower than lathes. With standalone machines, table saws typically run around 10 inches lower than lathes. If you raise the SS lathe, you may find it too high for other functions. As RF says, it's a compromise.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

RonBaker,

RFGuy posted the link to a discussion we recently had on this topic. You can see my comments there, so I won't repeat all of them here. Try using a stool and if you have an adjusting height stool that could be even better.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Ron,

Welcome to the forum. At a skosh over 6', I also found it too low for turning. I found it helped some when I put the legs on pieces of 4x4s. I slide the headstock to one end, lifted the other end and slid the board under with my foot, moved the headstock to the other end and repeat. It could've used a bit more height, probably a 4x6 on edge would have been about right.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: