Cheap decent tool box

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Cheap decent tool box

Post by reible »

Of late I have been trying to yet again reorganize some of my shop storage. Expect I will do this to the end of my time but that is another story.

So the Menard's sale flyer had a tool box for $5 off. It seemed to be about what I was hoping for and wasn't toooo expensive for my budget. They were all in boxes so it was not something I could actually touch but one can always return things if needed. In this case there will be no return.

So from what you get to see on the box:
tbox4.jpg
tbox4.jpg (253.26 KiB) Viewed 716 times
tbox5.jpg
tbox5.jpg (176.32 KiB) Viewed 716 times
tbox6.jpg
tbox6.jpg (194.67 KiB) Viewed 716 times
I would not think this the best solution for heavy wrenches and socket sets over time but my needs are for lighter objects and this is far and away over built for my needs. I would think of this as maybe a light to medium duty tool box. It is well made and actually impressed me for the price.

Here a few shots of the real thing:
tbox1.jpg
tbox1.jpg (174.95 KiB) Viewed 716 times
tbox2.jpg
tbox2.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 716 times
They even give you liners for the drawers!
tbox3.jpg
tbox3.jpg (164.5 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Price at Menard's through Sunday the 18 of December 2022 is $59.99. Even without the $5 off it is worth it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Cheap decent tool box

Post by garys »

You likely got a great buy there. Sometime ago, around 10-15 years ago I finally decided to buy a rolling tool box for my garage. I went to Menards. This was before they were selling the Performax boxes. I bought whatever their previous brand was. I can't remember the brand name. I would have to run to the garage and see what name is on it. I've used it for years, and it has worked perfectly for me. The low priced boxes available today are amazing in quality. For a light user like me, they work just as well as the high dollar boxes available, and you can buy them for a tiny fraction of the cost of the high end brands.