Inherited a Mark V and need help identifying what attachments are included

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jmancovsky
Bronze Member

Inherited a Mark V and need help identifying what attachments are included

Post by Jmancovsky »

My stepdad left me this Mark 5 and I have no idea what is included for attachments. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank You
mark 5.jpg
mark 5.jpg (276.85 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
parts 1.jpg
parts 1.jpg (194.51 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
parts 2.jpg
parts 2.jpg (194.79 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
parts 4.jpg
parts 4.jpg (174.71 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Inherited a Mark V and need help identifying what attachments are included

Post by chapmanruss »

Jmancovsky,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Congratulations on your new to you Shopsmith Mark V 510 and Bandsaw. In looking at the pictures you have many accessories and some non-Shopsmith items too. There are items not shown in the pictures that should come with your Mark V 510 model. You have the 2 floating tables but not shown is the Extension Table and the connector tubes and adjustable support legs. The Extension Table will look like the Floating Tables but include mounting Posts which go into the same spot as the Bandsaw is mounted or the other end of the Mark V. I have numbered items (in red) in your pictures shown below to identify Shopsmith parts. Not all Shopsmith parts are numbered since some are in packages and hard to name this way but if in the correct package they should already be identified. Non-Shopsmith parts are not identified below. If you come up with more clarification of parts needed only include those parts in pictures.

_
Jmancovsky pic 2 numbered.jpg
Jmancovsky pic 2 numbered.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
1 & 2 Power Couplers, use to power the Bandsaw with the Headstock
3 Drill Chuck
4 Bandsaw Fence
5 Tailstock (goes in opposite end of Mark V from the Bandsaw for Lathe spindle turnings)
6 Lathe Tool Rest Assembly
7 Upper Saw Blade Guard
8 SPT Mounting Base (SPT stands for Special or Single Purpose Tool like your Bandsaw) can be used to store an SPT or use on a homemade bench
9 Accessory Router Arm
10 Floating Table - one of two

_
Jmancovsky pic 3 numbered.jpg
Jmancovsky pic 3 numbered.jpg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
1 Table Insert for Saw Blade
2 Circle Cutter for Bandsaw
3 Conical Sanding Disk
4 Lathe Face Plate
5 Push Block - one of three
6 Fence Straddler Push Block
7 Miter with Safety Grip
8 Biscuit Jointer (3 bags of biscuits are in the first picture top center)

_
Jmancovsky pic 4 numbered.jpg
Jmancovsky pic 4 numbered.jpg (133.87 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
_
1 Upper and Lower Saw Blade Guard (Lower Guard can be used with a sanding disk for dust collection)

In the first and second picture above next to the Bandsaw Fence is a square shaft, handwheel and parts that go in the Carriage to raise and lower plus lock the Main Table. This has been removed for some reason from the Mark V's Carriage and should be reinstalled unless something is damaged and is needing a replacement.

The Saw Blade and Dado Blades are not numbered and appear to have the correct Arbors mounted in them.

It would be helpful if you have a Manual for the Mark V 510 and Bandsaw to familiarize yourself with the different parts and how to use the tools.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

#9 in what Russ labeled pic 2 is for a version of standalone (doesn't mount on the Mark) Shopsmith overarm router. I think the item above #5 is the dust collection adapter for it. The casting left of #6 in 'pic 3' is another part of it. There are at least two other major steel parts that I don't see in the pics. Possibly more, they sold multiple versions.

I would look for one or more 12" sanding discs that are flat, otherwise similar to the conical. It would be unusual for an owner to have a conical sanding disc and no standard ones.

The extrusion to the left of #7 in pic 3 is, I believe, part of the system for mounting a router on a Black and Decker Workmate:

BD Routermate.jpg
BD Routermate.jpg (20.26 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Jmancovsky,

I hope this information has been helpful so far. David also mentioned the Overarm Pin Router and a couple of the parts not identified may belong to it although it appears there are many parts missing for a complete unit. This is an item I am not that familiar with since I have not owned one. The plastic shield may belong to the Overarm Pin Router and the part between the Push Blocks and Miter may be the post base to mount it to its table. A picture of an Overarm Pin Router is shown below.

_
8 9 90 c.jpg
8 9 90 c.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
In my previous post I asked if you have the Owner's Manuals for the Mark V 510 or the Bandsaw. If not, the Bandsaw Manual and Parts List with Diagrams are available at the link below from here on the Shopsmith Website.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm

Scroll down and under the Other Information Manuals you will find the Bandsaw Manual, Bandsaw Parts Explosion and list, Bandsaw Circle Cutter information and the Bandsaw Table Extension information PDF's. I think you may have a least the rods for the Bandsaw Table Extension in your collection of parts.

If you scroll down further, you will find the PDF manual for the Overarm Pin Router. That may help you identify what parts you have and what parts are missing.

There is a Summary Manual for the Mark V 510 available here on the Shopsmith website too. It is not as complete as the entire Mark V 510 Manual but will get you started. It can be found at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/index.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of that page to find the Summary Manuals. That page also has the service and parts information for the current Mark Tools.

If you find parts for your Shopsmith tools used online do check the parts prices against buying new ones from Shopsmith including the shipping costs. Many times, the shipping will be higher for the used parts than it is when buying new from the factory. Do consider the condition of any used parts and that they are sold "as is" so no recourse if there is a problem.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.