Ideas for Creating OPR Stand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Ideas for Creating OPR Stand

Post by fjimp »

I am faced with trying to decide the best option for design and building a dedicated stand for my recent version OPR. Has anyone here cut the tubes and created a mini or shorty for the express purpose of mounting the OPR? Assumeing somone has what have been your experiences with it? How long or short are the tubes? Do you have any issues with balance or lack there of? Which model Mark V did you use and would you use the same model again?

My issues are lack of space, a bum arm that makes set up and tear down making continuing to use it on the 520 unsafe.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi Jim,

I have a dedicated "new-style OPR" on a 500 chopped stand that I've used 3-4 times in the last few weeks. My observations on its dimensions and balances are included in the following thread:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1537

I never got around to taking a new photo of my more conventional setup (as opposed to the "reversed setup" that I posted initially), but it's like anyone's standard modern OPR setup, just with no headstock above the router. I've had a modicum of weight sitting at the other end to keep it balanced for sure, but it could probably do without that OK.

Enjoy,
Chris