cutting 2inch male and female wood threads

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

cutting 2inch male and female wood threads

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Any one have any suggestions on a easy way ? I have seen a lot of videos on YT describing die blocks and even router jigs ? planning ahead , making a chop for a work bench . buying one just doesn't seem to be as much fun.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Re: cutting 2inch male and female wood threads

Post by algale »

I did a lot of research on this a few years ago. Never found anything that instilled me with enough confidence to go through with the project. Will be watching to see what you or others come up with.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Never done wood threads myself, but I have always been curious about them. The main problem is cost, right, unless you make your own die block? I mean they have tap and die sets to purchase for this just like in metal woodworking. I am assuming you saw this YT video from King's Fine Woodworking. It looks so easy in that video. They use a massive tap and die set in this video that I believe comes from the Dieter Schmid company. Their 2" tap & die set is over 1000 € (about $1100 in US dollars). Way too expensive for making just one using it, but it is German made which is why it is expensive. Beall makes a router based one but it only goes up 1-1/2". Woodcraft has Woodriver tap and die sets that are much more economical (~$70) but they also only go up to 1-1/2". Not quite the size you are looking for as most bench vise wood threads are either 2" or 2-1/2", I believe. I'd be curious if anyone has a more economical way to make these...IF not, the most economical option is likely to purchase a wood thread vise kit rather than doing the threads yourself.

https://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.html

https://bealltool.com/products/threading/threaders.php

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/1-1- ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/03/1 ... ing-tools/

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I watched the videos but never tried it like the others have. I have seen an old hand made wooden threading die, not noticeably different from any of the on-line designs except for a long entrance hole into the die, maybe 4 inches long. Having seen the video I think that may make it easier to start the threading by keeping the dowel aligned as the cutting starts, but I'm just guessing at that. I figured I'd try it out some day, probably making my own classic workbench, but those plans have been up in the air for a very long time and I don't see them bubbling up to the top of the list soon.

I think any of the on-line plans have a good chance of working, just looks like some patience required to get the cutter in the right position, What you might think about is finding a carbide tipped edge to use for the cutter.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have found smaller dia cutting set ups but nothing over 1 1/2 in .
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:54 pm I have found smaller dia cutting set ups but nothing over 1 1/2 in .
What about making your own die block like this guy does?

https://www.youtube.com/@littleforest
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I tried one of the somewhat inexpensive tap and die threaders for 1-1/2" hole. The tap worked fairly well, the die didn't do a very good job and I got to a point on the oil soaked walnut where it just wouldn't go any further as well as causing a lot of chip out. I bought a Beall tap and die and it works very well, although there is some router depth adjustment needed each time you set up the die. I've not seen anything that will do over 1-1/2", though.

Of course, if you want fun, build a CNC that includes a rotary axis. :)
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:10 pm
Hobbyman2 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:54 pm I have found smaller dia cutting set ups but nothing over 1 1/2 in .
What about making your own die block like this guy does?

https://www.youtube.com/@littleforest
-------------------

I may have to make one , it just seems like a lot of work for one wood screw . Than again if I ever need to replace it I can match the threads , LOL quite a conundrum .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

roy_okc wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:43 pm I tried one of the somewhat inexpensive tap and die threaders for 1-1/2" hole. The tap worked fairly well, the die didn't do a very good job and I got to a point on the oil soaked walnut where it just wouldn't go any further as well as causing a lot of chip out. I bought a Beall tap and die and it works very well, although there is some router depth adjustment needed each time you set up the die. I've not seen anything that will do over 1-1/2", though.

Of course, if you want fun, build a CNC that includes a rotary axis. :)
-----------------

LOL I am trying to do this the easy way and I have a small garage . I will check out the BEAL system thanks .
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Woodsmith Shop had a show on making lidded canisters with threaded lids, and they cut the threads, male and female, using a router jig. Building the jig is some work, but it can be used to cut threads on work pieces of any size. This web page https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/sho ... canisters/ has a video showing how the jig works and an offer for plans - or search for woodsmith shop threading jig.