What Is This?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cmyk
Bronze Member

What Is This?

Post by cmyk »

We have a really old dinning room set, purchased in the 70's. We got it from a outfit that refinished old furniture. One of the chairs had a sticker on the bottom of a seat that said it was from Sears 1926. Anyway the glue has given out in many of the joints and I'm taking each chair apart, cleaning, re-gluing and either waxing or spraying shellac, if the finish is gone. The pic is the bottom of one of the legs. All the legs on all the chairs look like this. All of parts are solid wood. It appears as if they were drilled out and an insert added. Is this common? What is going on and why?
Thanks for reading.
post 21.jpg
post 21.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: What Is This?

Post by Mike907 »

My guess is that the circular mark was made by a lathe cup turning center.

Mike
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Mike907 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:49 pm My guess is that the circular mark was made by a lathe cup turning center.

Mike
I agree. The medullary rays are perfectly aligned between the center section and the outer ring. That would be nigh unto impossible if the center section were some sort of plug.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

It is possible the marks were made by a foot like this., but I would agree with the lathe center guess.
61uoY35WuxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61uoY35WuxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (160.76 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

It looks like a dead center for lathe turning the leg. The dead center will burn the wood where it is in contact as the wood turns. Modern machines use live centers so the wood does not burn as it turns but the indent is there from when they were turned. Without the burn mark they are just harder to spot but they are there. I bought a flat packed small table about 15 - 20 years ago and the marks were on the legs from when they were turned.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
cmyk
Bronze Member

Post by cmyk »

That explains it, thanks!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I agree with the guess Chris made about the foot/pad. That could explain the glue stripping too. Without having any diameter reference for the end of the chair leg it makes identifying what made the mark harder. In the OP's picture below, if the mark indicated by the arrow is assumed to be the center point, then I do not believe it was from a Lathe Tailstock Center. That mark is off center from the circle.

_
cmyk chair - arrow.jpg
cmyk chair - arrow.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Glue stripping???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Maybe not glue. Maybe just the wood and the finish?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:15 pm JPG,

Maybe not glue. Maybe just the wood and the finish?
I think rays is correct.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange