Table flatness

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Table flatness

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:05 am I guess you're just stuck with what you got. The remaining solution is to be satisfied with what ever precision you can achieve.

Besides that - the stated measurements all through this thread are probable an order of magnitude better than the woodworking produced by any/all of us.
Dusty,

I have to disagree with this. IF a major tablesaw manufacturer requires their table flatness to be under 0.010" (as I reported here: viewtopic.php?p=304921#p304921) and David & HopefulSSer are seeing 0.030" (3x higher), then I have to believe this will impact one's ability to achieve a square cut for ANY application. For sure it would impact segmented bowl turning as the 0.25° error would be substantial, but likely would impact other woodworking projects as well.

IF you deem a dip of 0.030" near the blade to be insignificant for cuts in your workshop, then can you tell us how much of a dip would concern you? At what level does flatness deviation affect the quality of a tablesaw cut???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:23 pm
dusty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:05 am I guess you're just stuck with what you got. The remaining solution is to be satisfied with what ever precision you can achieve.

Besides that - the stated measurements all through this thread are probable an order of magnitude better than the woodworking produced by any/all of us.
Dusty,

I have to disagree with this. IF a major tablesaw manufacturer requires their table flatness to be under 0.010" (as I reported here: viewtopic.php?p=304921#p304921) and David & HopefulSSer are seeing 0.030" (3x higher), then I have to believe this will impact one's ability to achieve a square cut for ANY application. For sure it would impact segmented bowl turning as the 0.25° error would be substantial, but likely would impact other woodworking projects as well.

IF you deem a dip of 0.030" near the blade to be insignificant for cuts in your workshop, then can you tell us how much of a dip would concern you? At what level does flatness deviation affect the quality of a tablesaw cut???
No, I can not tell you that. All I can tell you is what I have experienced and what I believe. I have occasion to work with and on four different Shopsmith table saws and all of them have tables that "are not flat". Since I have never had inaccurate cuts that I believe were caused by this lack of flatness I stand by my position.

This none of this bickering about what I believe helps the OP at all - I'll not comment again on this thread
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm No, I can not tell you that. All I can tell you is what I have experienced and what I believe. I have occasion to work with and on four different Shopsmith table saws and all of them have tables that "are not flat". Since I have never had inaccurate cuts that I believe were caused by this lack of flatness I stand by my position.

This none of this bickering about what I believe helps the OP at all - I'll not comment again on this thread
Dusty,

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out at what point should one worry about this? I agree that many of us have only a small deviation in flatness of our main tables and this would likely never affect the quality of a cut (to the level that one needs in woodworking). However, I am wondering when should we worry? It seems like David & HopefulSSer found a significant dip in their main tables that I think could impact that quality of cut.

I don't have the answer to this question...just asking out of curiosity.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:27 pm Thanks. I am just trying to figure out at what point should one worry about this? I agree that many of us have only a small deviation in flatness of our main tables and this would likely never affect the quality of a cut (to the level that one needs in woodworking). However, I am wondering when should we worry? It seems like David & HopefulSSer found a significant dip in their main tables that I think could impact that quality of cut.

I don't have the answer to this question...just asking out of curiosity.
From my perspective, it depends on both magnitude and location. For example, the problem on mine was large but as far as I can tell was isolated to the left side of the blade. The 520 was new to me and I was following the book alignment procedure. Putting the miter gauge in the left slot to align the rip fence was a nogo, the miter gauge would not travel properly through the dish in the table surface. But if I had worked around that and aligned the fence some other way I could have done all kinds of operations accurately referencing the table to the right of the blade and using the right miter slot. At the same time, the left miter slot would have been as useless for anything else as it was for aligning the rip fence.

The OP observed a different alignment issue, and it is a great observation. We know that ideally the axis of rotation is normal (perpendicular in all directions) to the table for drill press and similar operations. But both the MGD and Sawdust Sessions methods for shimming rely on measured or gauged distance from plane of rotation to table. To me, this is a potential problem even if the table is flat with 0.010". If those deviations from flat happen to be in the area you need to measure, this is going to translate to an error.

That said, I like the 0.010" threshold, in the interests of having a number.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

dusty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:41 am
Should have said this earlier BUT I doubt that your sanding disks are "flat" though they might be "good enough" to use for this purpose.
The trick of Scott's technique is that it really doesn't matter how flat the sanding disk is because you're always measuring from the same spot on it. No different from setting the rip fence by measuring from the same tooth on the saw blade.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had a little time this afternoon so I went out to the shopsmith drill press and took a look at the table for flatness.

First off the largest "dip" I could find was not centered of the table or where the drill press center is. So it is unlikely that any distortion has been caused by drilling operations. Second, the table for the most part is quite flat. I took several looks from front to back and found that near the table insert is where the dips showed up. You can not reliably check where the insert is so I skipped that area. The flattest areas were next to the miter slots.

So this is the table I measured. It is from a 1976 shopsmith that I purchased new from shopsmith. It was my prime table for 30ish years. As you can see it has some use over those years.
flatt1.jpg
flatt1.jpg (159.57 KiB) Viewed 884 times
For this testing I used a Woodpecker straight edge, about the straightest edge most wood shops have. I put a light behind so I could look for gaps. For the most part there were not any. In this shot you see a very small gap that is very short, it is just before where the insert goes.
flatt2.jpg
flatt2.jpg (194.58 KiB) Viewed 884 times
The only large gap was slightly farther back on the table and just on the other side of the insert. The two gaps do not line up so farther proof that it is unlikely caused by drilling operations.
flatt3.jpg
flatt3.jpg (201.24 KiB) Viewed 884 times
Using a feeler gauge that gap came in at .006" max. It is also a small area so my guess is that it has had no effect on operation of the shopsmith.

I have several more 500 tables but they are not easy to get at. I would think from using them that none are at the point of causing errors in my projects. Perhaps when warmer weather comes along I can check them too.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JPG wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:51 am - disconnect it from the trunnions and mount it like a floating table (using the table rails and tubes and no trunnions).

How does one do THAT with a M5/500?
------------------

Adapter plate ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:11 pm
JPG wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:51 am - disconnect it from the trunnions and mount it like a floating table (using the table rails and tubes and no trunnions).

------------------

Adapter plate ?
???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JPG wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:18 am
Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:11 pm

------------------

Adapter plate ?
???
==================
yep ,, adapter plate , they adapt something to something else . seen a 4 cyl boat motor put into a 57 chevy on the show Cuban Chrome using a couple of adapter plates .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Don't know what happened to my previous post bring this up:

This website claims tolerance for some Grizzly saw table is .0175" ± .0025 - https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php ... w-table-be. That's unconfirmed but seems realistic based on other specs, and I'd expect them mostly to be somewhat overstated.

I started looking for that thinking it might be something like 0.01" +/-0.005" but that may have been optimistic. I haven't found the authoritative source on granite plate deviation but it seems to be typically around 0.001 or slightly more. This usually gets measured within some radius in inches so flatness over something even as small as a 500 table may still have greater deviation over its entire surface area. Some woodworkers claim plate glass is just as good as granite, but in both materials the dimensional stability is limited by the thickness of the material and supporting structure.

Something around 0.015" or 1/64" would seem flat enough for a table saw in my opinion, and experience has shown me much worse doesn't have to be a show stopper.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER