Shopsmith Mark 4 gave me new ideas

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WoodJunky
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Mark 4 gave me new ideas

Post by WoodJunky »

I have been looking at the Mark 4 shortness etc and it gives me new ideas for my current 520.
I've had my 520 for about 33 years and although it is underpowered for working with hard thick woods (I have quite a blade collections and they are clean and lubricated) I have found it awkward to use in the area that I have dedicated to powered woodworking. I have seen others like the Deputy, shorties and other creations but none of those sparked the same thoughts as the Mark 4.

I sat in my shop thinking about why I have been disenchanted with my 520 over the years and I have come to the conclusion that it is too long to go around comfortably, it is HEAVY and hard to get into Drill press mode. It is just awkward. I watched a few videos about how others have changed, added, expanded their shop smiths but it was not until a little light bulb went on in my head that I realized that knocking off 16" wont change a thing about how I use my 520. I have leg extensions and can build out quiet wide if I needed, I don't need a drill press that is that tall, I don't need a lathe that long so
I'm hacking off 16" of the tubes and building a Mark 4!

What a great idea! and for those that are looking at the Mark 4 as a starting point....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!
Thanks to Shopsmith for being a terrific company to work with and for building reliable products that DIY buys can use, fix and enjoy.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark 4 gave me new ideas

Post by chapmanruss »

WoodJunky,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. If having a shorter Mark tool will work better for you than I say go for it. You can always go back to the standard length of the Mark V later if it again suits your needs. You would just need a replacement set of Bench and Way Tubes the original length to go back.

You said your Mark V 520 is under powered for "working with hard thick woods" but have you considered upgrading to the Power Pro DVR Motor? That would give you more power for cutting. Another thing you could consider is adding a Lift Assist to your Mark V to help raise it into Drill Press Mode. I added the Lift Assist to my upgraded Mark V to a Mark 7 and it almost raises itself into Drill Press Mode.

One thing that puzzles me since the introduction of the Mark 4 is the listed length at 34" available for Lathe Turning. 34" is the length of the Mark 5/V for all models and the Mark 7 but the Mark 4 having shorter Bench and Way Tubes cannot still have the same 34" length capacity. Shopsmith should have corrected this error in the catalog listing by now. I mention this in case others reading this thread are considering changing the length of their Mark V or 7 tools to the Mark 4 length so as to not be surprised that it will not be able to turn spindles, etc. in the 34" length listed here on the Shopsmith Website.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

WoodJunky wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:04 pm I've had my 520 for about 33 years and although it is underpowered for working with hard thick woods (I have quite a blade collections and they are clean and lubricated)
WoodJunky,

Welcome to the forum. What hardwoods are you cutting and what thickness? I routinely cut 8/4 cherry with my 520 with no issues. You MUST have a sharp and clean blade as well as setting the proper belt tension for the 520. Honestly surprised to hear you say that it is underpowered. What vintage of headstock do you have, i.e. does it have the 3/4 or 1-1/8 HP motor? Also, make sure you use the right blade, e.g. ripping blade for ripping and crosscut blade for crosscuts.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jaxonn
Bronze Member

Post by jaxonn »

WoodJunky wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:04 pm I have been looking at the Mark 4 shortness etc and it gives me new ideas for my current 520.
I've had my 520 for about 33 years and although it is underpowered for working with hard thick woods (I have quite a blade collections and they are clean and lubricated) I have found it awkward to use in the area that I have dedicated to powered woodworking. I have seen others like the Deputy, shorties and other creations but none of those sparked the same thoughts as the Mark 4.

I sat in my shop thinking about why I have been disenchanted with my 520 over the years and I have come to the conclusion that it is too long to go around comfortably, it is HEAVY and hard to get into Drill press mode. It is just awkward. I watched a few videos about how others have changed, added, expanded their shop smiths but it was not until a little light bulb went on in my head that I realized that knocking off 16" wont change a thing about how I use my 520. I have leg extensions and can build out quiet wide if I needed, I don't need a drill press that is that tall, I don't need a lathe that long so
I'm hacking off 16" of the tubes and building a Mark 4!

What a great idea! and for those that are looking at the Mark 4 as a starting point....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!
Thanks to Shopsmith for being a terrific company to work with and for building reliable products that DIY buys can use, fix and enjoy.
It sounds like you've been using a Shopsmith 520 for 33 years, but have been having some issues with its size and weight. You've been looking at the Mark 4 model, which has inspired you to come up with a new idea. You realized that the main problem with your 520 is that it's too long and heavy, which makes it difficult to move around comfortably and use in drill press mode. So you've decided to modify your 520 by cutting off 16 inches from the tubes, which will make it more compact and easier to use. You're excited about this idea and think it will make a big difference in how you use your Shopsmith. You also want to give credit to Shopsmith for being a great company with reliable products that DIYers can use, fix, and enjoy.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The above post should be monitored. jaxonn added a hidden link to his only other post in the topic "Double Tilt Base for Shopsmith". That post has been reported.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:19 pm The above post should be monitored. jaxonn added a hidden link to his only other post in the topic "Double Tilt Base for Shopsmith". That post has been reported.
John,

Thanks for pointing this out. Honestly that post and the one from the OP look suspicious in retrospect. They read like something an AI chatbot would produce. Note also that the OP never responded to Russ or myself, and has only ever posted once on this forum which are all suspicious IMHO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor