Table saw blade cover anti-kick back feature jams

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Table saw blade cover anti-kick back feature jams

Post by JPG »

steverboss wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:46 pm
algale wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:28 pm I had that issue. Called Shopsmith and they advised me to basically flex the cams. Of course it snapped the rivet and so now I don't have functioning cams. Worst part was it was a brand new upper saw guard I bought from the factory. I'll not buy another. I use the splitter almost exclusively. Some day a Shark Guard.
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what is the “splitter” you refer to?
That 'vertical' piece that separates the two "halves" of the workpiece being rip sawn. That prevents the two "halves" from closing the kerf gap behind the blade. The splitter referenced to was the riving knife attachment. The upper guard has a similar vertical piece that in that instance passes all the way through the kerf of the workpiece. The reason for the riving knife is to provide that separator function when making a rip cut that is not full depth.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

This is the riving knife from Shopsmith and it is part #556223:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... _knife.htm
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

steverboss wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:46 pm Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what is the “splitter” you refer to?
The "Non-Thru Cut Riving Knife" which I leave in the lower saw guard at all times and use for through cuts and non-through cuts alike.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... _knife.htm
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!