Table saw blade cover anti-kick back feature jams

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Table saw blade cover anti-kick back feature jams

Post by steverboss »

Does anyone else have problems with the upper saw blade cover anti-kick back cams jamming the wood as it passes through in the forward direction? Mine has been doing this for about 2 weeks now & it’s so frustrating that I just want to leave the blade cover off! But my gut and my finger scars tell me that’s not a wise decision, lol. Any suggestions?
Attachments
6071FF28-2D36-44F7-937E-626944859AE2.jpeg
6071FF28-2D36-44F7-937E-626944859AE2.jpeg (369.69 KiB) Viewed 741 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Table saw blade cover anti-kick back feature jams

Post by DLB »

steverboss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am Does anyone else have problems with the upper saw blade cover anti-kick back cams jamming the wood as it passes through in the forward direction? Mine has been doing this for about 2 weeks now & it’s so frustrating that I just want to leave the blade cover off! But my gut and my finger scars tell me that’s not a wise decision, lol. Any suggestions?
They need to rotate freely and slide upward freely in the slot, do they? Cleaning and wax on the riving knife may help with the sliding/climbing action.

Sometimes the Upper Saw Guard isn't compatible with an operation. SS also sells a "non through cut" riving knife, which is far better than nothing for kickback prevention.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

How thick was the lumber that you were trying to cut? There is a limit to the upper saw guard capacity where the anti-kickback pawls limit forward movement. The thread linked below may be of interest. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but sometimes the upper saw guard IS the problem.

viewtopic.php?p=259690#p259690
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

The lumber thickness was approximately 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

steverboss wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:43 pm The lumber thickness was approximately 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem, unless you had the table adjusted up too high. Are they sticking and blocking the wood passing underneath, or what is it you are seeing exactly? I know these can get stuck sometimes and become an issue. I haven't had a problem with this yet, but it has come up before on the forum with other members so I know it can happen.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

The only thing I’ve noticed is that the little pin that they pivot on is sloppy. It jams up so tight that I have to shut off the saw to get the partially sawn wood out, then start over, very frustrating.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I had that issue. Called Shopsmith and they advised me to basically flex the cams. Of course it snapped the rivet and so now I don't have functioning cams. Worst part was it was a brand new upper saw guard I bought from the factory. I'll not buy another. I use the splitter almost exclusively. Some day a Shark Guard.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

maybe something is sprung or twisted out of place and can be sprung back or re straightened ? .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The cams and attaching hardware aren't available separately, but it looks like you can replace the USG riving knife which appears to include them. (https://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/ ... iagram.htm) Presuming a 510 and on USG.

- David
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

algale wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:28 pm I had that issue. Called Shopsmith and they advised me to basically flex the cams. Of course it snapped the rivet and so now I don't have functioning cams. Worst part was it was a brand new upper saw guard I bought from the factory. I'll not buy another. I use the splitter almost exclusively. Some day a Shark Guard.
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what is the “splitter” you refer to?