Lost key

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Newbieatwood
Bronze Member

Lost key

Post by Newbieatwood »

I purchased a used ShopSmith VII yesterday, and the key under the REV/OFF/FWD switch is missing/lost. Will the head unit not work without it?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Lost key

Post by JPG »

Yes but! You would have to replace it with something that duplicates it's function.

I can get thee a key. PM me.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Newbieatwood
Bronze Member

Post by Newbieatwood »

Ok I may just put a toggle on it. Keys can get lost, and break off. Thank ye for the info. And offer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To duplicate the forward/reverse function requires a 4pdt center off "toggle".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Newbieatwood
Bronze Member

Post by Newbieatwood »

JPG, I looked at switching to a toggle from the key switch, and realized it was beyond my skill set. Now you offer of a key looks appealing. I am not very digitally adept, so I an not sure how to PM you. You can text me at 7655712274 and we can make arrangements.I thank thee Sir.

PW
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

text sent
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Newbieatwood
Bronze Member

Post by Newbieatwood »

You might check the number I haven't gotten it yet.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Newbieatwood wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:29 pm You might check the number I haven't gotten it yet.
Sent to 765 571 2274
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I'm looking for a little clarity simply for my own knowledge. From the parts list and drawings, it appears the Key Lock is mechanical and not an electrical switch, is that correct? That would make the actual power on and off electrical switch part of the forward/off/reverse switch assembly that the Mechanical Key Lock turns on and off. If this is correct than anyone acquiring a Mark VII should carefully check the Switch Assembly function and the Key Lock before purchase. So, if the Switch Assembly doesn't work the option is to use a 4PDT Center Off Switch to replace the Switch Assembly?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One must not overlook the PURPOSE of the lock etc.

1) Removal of the key prevents unwary turn on by who ever(small hands?).

2) The key etc. creates an interlock so only ONE run(fwd/rev) button may be simultaneously pushed(or at least any attempt to do so). Could be considered a backup to the switch itself.

3) It also creates the ability to slowly change directions. The direction switches only control starting direction. If the switches were simply reversed then the motor would continue in the original direction. Once the start switch is open(motor up to speed) the start circuit has no effect. The required sequence is stop button, then key to opposite direction then opposite direction button. Takes more time, but that is the point.

A shortcoming of the 4pdt on/off/on switch is it does NOT provide functions 1 and 3.

P.S. the same function 3 shortcoming exists for a dpdt direction switch added in the start circuit of any cap start induction motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝