510 versus 520

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: 510 versus 520

Post by algale »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:08 pm I have Model 10's too and can do things on them that I cannot do on a Mark V.
Thread drift! But I am really curious, what kinds of things can one do on a Model 10 that one cannot do on a Mark V (which I assume includes the original Mark V, the 505, 510 and 520 series)??
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

In the YT video Scott made brief mention of the Shopsmith outfeed table and something about a version that tilted and moved up and down with the Main Table.

I have one of those but it did not come from Shopsmith. I have been using a version of this table for years.

OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg (398.9 KiB) Viewed 558 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:05 am In the YT video Scott made brief mention of the Shopsmith outfeed table and something about a version that tilted and moved up and down with the Main Table.
To my surprise, the Mothership version is no longer available for any model. (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ttable.htm See note highlighted in yellow.)

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:55 pm
dusty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:05 am In the YT video Scott made brief mention of the Shopsmith outfeed table and something about a version that tilted and moved up and down with the Main Table.
To my surprise, the Mothership version is no longer available for any model. (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ttable.htm See note highlighted in yellow.)

- David
I am not surprised. It did not
look impressive at all but then I am biased.

I had both a sliding cross cut and an outfield table. Both have taken up residence at my daughter's place. Need to replicate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

algale,

The first thing a Model 10E or 10ER can do that comes to mind is compound angles for drilling. Since the Main Table Posts are held by lock knobs one side of the Table can have the post out of the Carriage while the Table angled left or right and is tilted normally also. This gives two angles for drilling. There are limitations to angles that can be achieved tilting the Table left or right. Compound Angle Drilling is in Shopsmith Shavings No. 5. Another is again using the Drill Press and a larger item like a door being drilled for the doorknob latch can rest on the floor giving more drilling range. This is shown in the Shop Notes No. 2, but the picture doesn't show the operation very well. You can do that operation in horizontal Boring Mode with extra support for the door. A similar operation setup was also shown in the Shop Notes No. 2 for Vertical Sawing of Large Workpieces but for safety I would never attempt it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

More follow-up on this subject from Scott Markwood on My Growth Rings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrvW9wBceIE
Good discussion of floating table alignment and adding an outfeed table that can be left attach to the rails and folded down for storage.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER