3" caster upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

3" caster upgrade

Post by dusty »

Can I drill the legs according to the dimensions detailed on the template OR should I make some adjustments.

If anyone has used the template and not been satisfied with the results, please let me know. I don't want to do this wrong.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 3" caster upgrade

Post by JPG »

IIRC the early "template" had dimensional inaccuracies.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There have been other threads on this subject and opinions vary. Some like to deviate slightly while other like myself have been happy with using the recommended distances. I used the Metal Drilling Guide that came with the Caster Upgrade as opposed to the paper template. This has my casters slightly off the floor when retracted. As for JPG's comment,
IIRC the early "template" had dimensional inaccuracies.
I believe there was discussion about that. The paper template that came with my upgrade is Rev. D dated 05-12. The Metal Drilling Guide I have matches that paper template.

There is another consideration when adding the 3" Caster Upgrade to a Mark 5/V. Older Retractable Caster assemblies had the Foot Pedal closer to the Cam on the Rod which can cause inference with the 3" casters rotating. Newer Retractable Caster assemblies have about 2" between the Foot Pedal and the Cam. The pictures below show the differences between the older and newer Retractable Caster Assemblies.

Below is the older assembly.

_
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg (222.75 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Below is the newer assembly.

_
Retractable Casters - Mark V.jpg
Retractable Casters - Mark V.jpg (116.91 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Notice the spacing difference between the foot pedal and the cam.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you have the drill template (or a set of holes drilled using the template) can you tell me what the offset distance is between the old and the new holes? I believe it to be 1 9/16". but am considering a slight increase so as to get the wheels a bit more off the floor).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm IIRC the early "template" had dimensional inaccuracies.
I had a discussion about this with Mike Young years ago. The original paper templates were correct. At some point they started reproducing them on an in house copy machine. That changed the size of the templet making the dimensions incorrect. The correction was the metal templet.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My belief is that it is NOT necessary to "get the wheels off the floor". It is only necessary to get the weight off the casters. There is play in the stem/ring/piston fit that allows the weight to be off the casters while the casters are still in contact with the floor and the legs bearing against the floor.

This casters still on the floor when SS is lowered to the floor situation allows for maximum lift when the SS is raised. About 1/4" and about 1/2" is the design goal for the two raised positions. I do not think that is attainable IF the casters clear the floor when the SS is lowered to the floor.

So if thy casters are clearing the floor with the 1 9/16" difference I would consider decreasing that somewhat so as to drop the casters to the floor when the SS is lowered. Another consideration is to decrease the hole size to 17/64".

And yes the copier inadvertent dimensional tweeking scenario is my understanding as well.

Now WHAT is the metal template offset result?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:13 pm My belief is that it is NOT necessary to "get the wheels off the floor". It is only necessary to get the weight off the casters. There is play in the stem/ring/piston fit that allows the weight to be off the casters while the casters are still in contact with the floor and the legs bearing against the floor.
JPG,

I think you raise (pun intended) an important point. Mine are just kissing the floor but not bearing any weight when lowered. I have a garage shop which inevitably has the expansion joints in the concrete floor. Moving my SS across the expansion joint dip is always a pain, but less so with the 3" casters than the original ones. I bought the premium casters a few years ago. I can't remember if the metal template jig from SS came with the order or if I paid extra for it. My Dad upgraded his 510 casters after me and didn't get the jig from SS so I gave it to him afterwards - he is on the other side of the country so I can't easily get it back from him. Otherwise I would loan my jig to Dusty. It really is easy to do the install with the SS jig. Bottomline, is I think you want the Mark V to raise as much as possible when in the up position unless you have a perfectly flat floor.
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am glad to hear the metal template created the floor kissing result which allows greater clearance when 'up'. Hopefully thine is not an aberration.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Russ

I have the same template (Rev D) so I am going to drill in accordance with that.

Thank you for the response.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Again, WHAT is the offset?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝