Squealing Noise

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Aeronut
Bronze Member

Re: Squealing Noise

Post by Aeronut »

Thank you, David and Russ!
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

I had a similar experience with squealing on a 1982 Mark V I bought last year. In my case it turned out to be a dry drive sleeve bearing. I bought an aftermarket headstock rebuild kit off of eBay and replaced the belts and most of the bearings. I didn't replace the button bearing on the control sheave though. Mine seemed pretty smooth but perhaps dry. I put a quantity of grease inside the bore of the control sheave and used the end of the idler shaft to force the grease through the button bearing to push out any old grease or gunk and replace it with fresh grease. (A properly sized dowel would work too.) I saved the new button bearing though . . . just in case.

Another possible source of noise is that the fan sheave can shift on the motor shaft and scrape on the sheet metal that the motor shaft sticks through. Mine is doing that slightly. When the weather warms up in my unheated garage, I plan to disassemble the headstock enough to address that problem. I'm hoping that a thin washer will fix the problem so I don't need to buy any parts.
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Post by Aeronut »

Thanks for the tips, BigAl! I plan on disassembling the headstock this weekend should I have some more info then.

For your unheated garage I recommend a kerosene heater. I put one in my shop here in New England and I can drive the temperature up about 20 degree F. It makes for a comfortable work environment and is relatively economical to operate. I also place a bowl of wax from candles above it on metal spacers which melt and add a nice apple-cinnamon aroma to my shop.