Squealing Noise

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Aeronut
Bronze Member

Squealing Noise

Post by Aeronut »

I searched first and did not find what I was looking for.

I just picked up a 1982 Mark V with the 500 attachments. I'm very exciting about this machine including getting it setup, aligned, and ready to use. For it's age the machine appears to be pretty clean and underused over it's lifetime. Probably stored in a basement or garage. I went through the manual and followed all safety precautions and performed maintenance as called out.

Even after following the maintenance protocols I still get the same high pitched squeal when it's running (I had it run when I picked it up to very operation). The squeal is inconsistent. Sometimes it's at slow speeds and other times at fast speeds. If the machine has been running for longer than about two minutes the squeal seems to disappear. I triple oiled the lubrication points called out and lubed them after multiple runs through the speed spectrum. My gut tells me a bearing is toast, but I'm not positive and I can't explain the inconsistent occurrences of said noise. If I had to pinpoint a bearing it would be the one on piece 56 of the head stock. What do you all think?

Also, the machine seems a bit louder than I expected. I would say vacuum cleaner loud at slow speed and hearing protection required at fast speed, discounting the squeal. Am I wrong about how quiet these can be? If so what I can do to get this dialed in?

And speaking of dialed in, the speed dial is not easy to move on the slow half with the handle. In addition to this the indicator stops a few letters short of the "fast" label. How do I adjust this?

Josh
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Squealing Noise

Post by JPG »

The mark 5/V IS noisy.

Oil the floating sheave(generously).

Check out a 'high speed adjustment'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Post by Aeronut »

Thank you! I'll look it up.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

My 1980 Mark V has "squealed" similarly in the past. Mine turned out to be a shot button bearing in the end of the control sheave. After replacing the bearing, I have tried to oil it more regularly every time I oil by liberally oiling the control sheave while in the drill press position. Let it stay in the drill press position overnight if possible.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Aeronut,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Make sure you are oiling both moving Sheaves, one for the Motor Shaft and the other on the Idler Shaft. A lightweight oil like Sewing Machine oil, 3 in 1 oil or the Zoom Spout Oiler work well. The Zoom Spout Oiler has the extending tube which makes reaching those spots to oil easier. Access to the Idler Shaft Control Sheave Assembly is through the hole behind the Logo Plate on the back of the Headstock. You should use a dry lubricant on the back parts (Worm Gear and Quadrant Assembly) of the Speed Control. Because the Speed Control parts are more exposed a dry lubricant is better so as not to have it "gum" up by collecting dust. br549 mentioned the Button Bearing which is on the end of the Idler Shaft's Control Sheave Assembly and has a wire loop that goes over the end of the Speed Control Quadrant Assembly. This Quadrant Assembly is commonly referred to as the "Porkchop". The Button Bearing on the end of the Control Sheave Assembly could be the source of the squealing if its bearing is going bad. Removing the Speed Control Handle will reveal the gears on the outside of the headstock and these could use some dry lubricant too. It is normal for the Speed Control Handle to get little harder to turn as you go from higher to slower speeds. This is when the system is causing the Motor Sheave to compress the spring. It should not be difficult to turn though. That is generally an indication that something in the speed adjustment parts is not properly lubricated or (less common) is worm to the point it may need replacing.

The link below is to a PDF of the Mark V 500 Summary Manual right here on the Shopsmith website. Although a Summary Manual and not the most recent complete Manual, it may have more information than a 1982 Manual. Maintenance information begins on page 39.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Post by Aeronut »

Great and detailed tips from everyone! Thank you and I look forward to giving these a try this week.

Russ, since posting I have removed the speed control handle which did reveal some gummed up gearing from sawdust and possibly wax. After cleaning this area up and re-lubricating the speed control handle is working much better.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

br549 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:40 am My 1980 Mark V has "squealed" similarly in the past. Mine turned out to be a shot button bearing in the end of the control sheave. After replacing the bearing, I have tried to oil it more regularly every time I oil by liberally oiling the control sheave while in the drill press position. Let it stay in the drill press position overnight if possible.
I had the same experience. Mine started squealing. Some time later, the bearing in the end of the control sheave failed. It is worth checking.
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Post by Aeronut »

Thank you! I'm going to try to locate some bearings. Does anyone have a recommendation on which ones to buy? I'll plan on changing out the control sheave at the very least if not the quill also.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

There is a lot of bearing information on Everrett's Google Drive under "Bearings." viewtopic.php?p=185690#p185690 Replacing the Button Bearing on the Control Sheave depends a lot on the overall condition of the sheave, bearing, and related components. The complete sheave with bearing etc. is available from SS, the complete bearing with button, clip, etc. is available on ebay, the bearing by itself is available in lots of places. Same is true for the rest of the bearings. Always measure to confirm what the PN indicates, some bearings are special purpose and may have an imperial size inner bore on an otherwise metric bearing.

There are various quill bearings depending on the specific quill. Same for motor bearings. And two variations of Idler bearings. There are two bearing quills and single bearing quills. Especially true of single bearing quills, the Drive and Ring can wear and cause spindle runout even with a new bearing. It's my experience that the Drive and Ring wears much better with a two bearing quill. An '82 machine would originally be single bearing quill, with the possibility that it has been upgraded somewhere in its 40 years. If single bearing, I believe it is metric except with a 5/8" bore.

Personal opinion - I prefer sealed bearings (RS) to shielded (ZZ) whenever possible independent of the OEM type for the headstock. I also have a bias toward Timken brand, they are 'global' like most but so far I feel like they do a better than average job managing their global supply chain.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

To find the Bearing information David provided the link to click on My Google Drive and a new page will open which is Everett's Google Drive with a lot of information about the Shopsmith tools. Bearings is one of the folders you will find there.

David mentioned most of the Bearings in the Mark V Headstock but don't forget to check if the Drive Sleeve Assembly Bearings need replacing too. The Drive and Ring David mentions is on the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly and the Splined end of the Quill's Spindle goes into it. The Drive (plastic part) and Ring (inside directly under the arrow) is the parts indicated by the arrow in the picture below. The Splines of the Quill's Spindle should fit snugly into the Drive with no "slop" and the Drive should be tight on the Drive Sleeve Assembly. The Ring is inside the Drive and holds it on the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly.

_
Poly V Drive.png
Poly V Drive.png (622.66 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.