Has anybody DIY disks for the SS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eartigas
Gold Member

Has anybody DIY disks for the SS

Post by eartigas »

Hi everyone:

As a newbie I probably haven't seen much about the SS and all the possible tricks. I was wondering if anybody has tried to fabricate discs to sand with.
I was thinking in doing something smaller than standard SS 12" that could actually be fitted with glued cuts from standard sized sandpaper.
I could make a few and have them for my basic needs. I already have a 12" but I have some projects that could do with smaller discs using a large variety of grits.
I also thought about using carriage bolts or similar for the hub and secure them to the SS using the standard drill chuck.
Probably this is a long ago discussed issue but I could not find anything through searching.

Comments welcome

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

eartigas wrote:Hi everyone:

As a newbie I probably haven't seen much about the SS and all the possible tricks. I was wondering if anybody has tried to fabricate discs to sand with.
I was thinking in doing something smaller than standard SS 12" that could actually be fitted with glued cuts from standard sized sandpaper.
I could make a few and have them for my basic needs. I already have a 12" but I have some projects that could do with smaller discs using a large variety of grits.
I also thought about using carriage bolts or similar for the hub and secure them to the SS using the standard drill chuck.
Probably this is a long ago discussed issue but I could not find anything through searching.

Comments welcome

Ed
Mount a circular piece of (ply)wood to a lathe faceplate. Attach the sandpaper to it. Do not expect the same performance as with the 12" disc & SS paper.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

eartigas wrote:Hi everyone:

Comments welcome

Ed
Ed,
The small 3½" face plate for the SS makes a good starting point for constructing small sanding plates. Take care in your choice of backing plates and don't turn too fast. SS also sells the sanding disk hub separately and it can be used to mount your own backing plates. You will need to use a good cloth backed sandpaper and a adhesive. I use 3M 77 and it seems to work well on aluminum and steel plates.
ldh