Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pilvr83
Gold Member

Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by pilvr83 »

I purchased a table saw alignment fixture from Rockler. Knowing that the Shopsmith slot is different; I also bought another miter rail from Shopsmith. Come to find out, the Rockler fits in the shopsmith miter slot.

My problem is the shopsmith slot is too close to the saw blade to be able to use the fixture.

How can i mount this gauge to be able to use on the shopsmith? I hope I didn't just waste $60, but I am thinking I may have. (I am not near a Rockler store)
IMG_3602 (002).jpg
IMG_3602 (002).jpg (287.66 KiB) Viewed 955 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by JPG »

Is it possible to mount the gauge to the base(blue thingie) reversed so the movable finger points the opposite direction(over the series of holes)?

The length of the base may prevent using it reversed as well.(finger too short?)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

First question, do you have a dado insert? Would that allow you to place a blade off center and far enough away from the slot. And if you don't have a dado insert, do you even need an insert in there at all?

You can add an extension to the miter bar in the slot. A rectangle of metal or plastic with a couple of holes attached on top of the miter bar, which I assume has threaded holes, and a threaded hole an inch or two away from from the miter bar to mount the device in. You would end up with the gauge above the table surface by the thickness of the material used, and it has to be thick enough to hold threads.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:02 pm I purchased a table saw alignment fixture from Rockler. Knowing that the Shopsmith slot is different; I also bought another miter rail from Shopsmith. Come to find out, the Rockler fits in the shopsmith miter slot.

My problem is the shopsmith slot is too close to the saw blade to be able to use the fixture.

How can i mount this gauge to be able to use on the shopsmith? I hope I didn't just waste $60, but I am thinking I may have. (I am not near a Rockler store)

IMG_3602 (002).jpg
Can you move the table to the right so that the saw blade comes up along the left side of the table (not in the cutout) and then turn the alignment gauge around. Doing that should give you a variable distance between the miter slot and the alignment gauge (relocate the carriage to the right and/or the headstock to the left).

That looks like a nice stable carrier for the alignment gauge. I have to be careful with mine or it will wobble in the miter track.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Take a piece of 3/4" plywood about a little wider than the blue thingy (assume 5") and 8-10"' long. Mount the miter bar (either the one that game with the gauge or the Shopsmith one) to the underside of the plywood near the 5" inch edge. Drill a series of recessed holes along the long axis of the ply sized for whatever size machine screw bolt is going through the blue thingy. Bring bolt up through bottom of ply, through blue thingy and use a thumb screw to lock it down. Blue thingy is adjusted to blade by choosing whatever hole gets you close enough to the blade that the plunger on the dial gauge can touch it and has some travel in each direction.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

I am out in the shop trying the suggestions. The dado adapter still won’t clear the distance. Another picture to show.
D2914949-62A0-4936-8E87-9E684EFEC364.jpeg
D2914949-62A0-4936-8E87-9E684EFEC364.jpeg (605.42 KiB) Viewed 905 times
C1D45751-51DB-4002-8262-71E00390D477.jpeg
C1D45751-51DB-4002-8262-71E00390D477.jpeg (497.8 KiB) Viewed 905 times
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

Oh wait. Do you mean taking out the insert??!!
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

7D34DBE5-726A-40BF-A6AE-1A7B1ACD002A.jpeg
7D34DBE5-726A-40BF-A6AE-1A7B1ACD002A.jpeg (500.29 KiB) Viewed 897 times
I am an idiot!! Thanks to all. If I hadn’t posted, I wouldn’t have saw what the problem was. Taking out the insert did it. Unbelievable.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Let us know how well it works!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:58 pm 7D34DBE5-726A-40BF-A6AE-1A7B1ACD002A.jpegI am an idiot!! Thanks to all. If I hadn’t posted, I wouldn’t have saw what the problem was. Taking out the insert did it. Unbelievable.
The blade looks to be mighty close to the edge of the cut out. Try moving the gauge to the left hand miter track and turn it around, raise the table, move the carriage to the right and lower the table. God to see you got it done.

Think about moving the gauge to work in the left hand miter track --- blade off to the left of the table rather than in the cutout.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.