Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderator: admin

bainin
Gold Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm
Location: NC

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by bainin »

I would have tried to rotate the blue plastic piece by 90 degrees. It may introduce a little but of error in being perpendicular to the
blade, but it would be small I think.

b
User avatar
pilvr83
Gold Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Panhandle Florida

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by pilvr83 »

dusty wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:11 pm
pilvr83 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:58 pm 7D34DBE5-726A-40BF-A6AE-1A7B1ACD002A.jpegI am an idiot!! Thanks to all. If I hadn’t posted, I wouldn’t have saw what the problem was. Taking out the insert did it. Unbelievable.
The blade looks to be mighty close to the edge of the cut out. Try moving the gauge to the left hand miter track and turn it around, raise the table, move the carriage to the right and lower the table. God to see you got it done.

Think about moving the gauge to work in the left hand miter track --- blade off to the left of the table rather than in the cutout.
Do you mean raise the table away from the blade? I raise the table, move it to the right, keep a blade on the headstock and measure like that? That would probably work as I am trying to adjust the table to the blade.

When I tried measuring “my way” it was just over .3”” from the forward tooth to the back tooth. Even the fence seemed diagonal with this gauge.

I will attempt this way tomorrow and see if my results are the same. Will let everyone know.
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 33817
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (TAMECAT territory)

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by JPG »

.3"" ???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
User avatar
dusty
Platinum Member
Posts: 21149
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 am
Location: Tucson (Wildcat Country), Arizona

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 pm
dusty wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:11 pm
pilvr83 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:58 pm 7D34DBE5-726A-40BF-A6AE-1A7B1ACD002A.jpegI am an idiot!! Thanks to all. If I hadn’t posted, I wouldn’t have saw what the problem was. Taking out the insert did it. Unbelievable.
The blade looks to be mighty close to the edge of the cut out. Try moving the gauge to the left hand miter track and turn it around, raise the table, move the carriage to the right and lower the table. God to see you got it done.

Think about moving the gauge to work in the left hand miter track --- blade off to the left of the table rather than in the cutout.
Do you mean raise the table away from the blade? I raise the table, move it to the right, keep a blade on the headstock and measure like that? That would probably work as I am trying to adjust the table to the blade.

When I tried measuring “my way” it was just over .3”” from the forward tooth to the back tooth. Even the fence seemed diagonal with this gauge.

I will attempt this way tomorrow and see if my results are the same. Will let everyone know.
If you mean .003" (NOT .3") you are about as good as you will get. If so - go make saw dust safely.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
User avatar
pilvr83
Gold Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Panhandle Florida

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by pilvr83 »

2EC4BBA2-7D54-493C-AB6A-918D6172F9A5.jpeg
2EC4BBA2-7D54-493C-AB6A-918D6172F9A5.jpeg (510.98 KiB) Viewed 95 times
I need to learn how to read the gauge. The reading I had was from zero to the “30”. I look closely and see the small hash marks are .001 each. If I am reading the gauge correctly, is it one time around equal to 1.00 “? If my table is “30”, my reading .030”?

Should I be adjusting the table?

Thanks

Greg
User avatar
dusty
Platinum Member
Posts: 21149
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 am
Location: Tucson (Wildcat Country), Arizona

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:53 pm 2EC4BBA2-7D54-493C-AB6A-918D6172F9A5.jpegI need to learn how to read the gauge. The reading I had was from zero to the “30”. I look closely and see the small hash marks are .001 each. If I am reading the gauge correctly, is it one time around equal to 1.00 “? If my table is “30”, my reading .030”?

Should I be adjusting the table?

Thanks

Greg
The gauge that you have shown here reads 57 thousands (.057"). I aim to adjust my table to something less than .005". How long is the stem on your dial indicator? I suspect it is 1" long. Push the stem in "slowly" and watch the dial. Push it in and count the numbers of revolutions you see the dial make. Touch the tip and barely push the stem. .005" is 5 of the tiny tick marks around the outer perimeter of the dial gauge.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
User avatar
pilvr83
Gold Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Panhandle Florida

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by pilvr83 »

675E8CB5-0144-4486-B7F6-27A8D259BABB.jpeg
675E8CB5-0144-4486-B7F6-27A8D259BABB.jpeg (600.4 KiB) Viewed 87 times
31604F1E-C43E-40BC-B2B4-F50CD5DF4BDF.jpeg
31604F1E-C43E-40BC-B2B4-F50CD5DF4BDF.jpeg (643.5 KiB) Viewed 87 times
I tried the suggestion with putting blade outside cutouts and measuring. Probably I am reading wrong. Gauge moves clockwise from zero to 70.

Can someone tell me what I am supposed to be reading with the table saw to blade. Is it best for me to invest in the Shopsmith table saw alignment gauge?
User avatar
pilvr83
Gold Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Panhandle Florida

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by pilvr83 »

dusty wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:11 pm
pilvr83 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:53 pm 2EC4BBA2-7D54-493C-AB6A-918D6172F9A5.jpegI need to learn how to read the gauge. The reading I had was from zero to the “30”. I look closely and see the small hash marks are .001 each. If I am reading the gauge correctly, is it one time around equal to 1.00 “? If my table is “30”, my reading .030”?

Should I be adjusting the table?

Thanks

Greg
The gauge that you have shown here reads 57 thousands (.057"). I aim to adjust my table to something less than .005". How long is the stem on your dial indicator? I suspect it is 1" long. Push the stem in "slowly" and watch the dial. Push it in and count the numbers of revolutions you see the dial make. Touch the tip and barely push the stem. .005" is 5 of the tiny tick marks around the outer perimeter of the dial gauge.
I should aim for a reading from the zero to the fifth hash mark to the right? For example the “1/2” if on a ruler? Pretending gauge is a ruler.
User avatar
dusty
Platinum Member
Posts: 21149
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 am
Location: Tucson (Wildcat Country), Arizona

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:16 pm 675E8CB5-0144-4486-B7F6-27A8D259BABB.jpeg31604F1E-C43E-40BC-B2B4-F50CD5DF4BDF.jpegI tried the suggestion with putting blade outside cutouts and measuring. Probably I am reading wrong. Gauge moves clockwise from zero to 70.

Can someone tell me what I am supposed to be reading with the table saw to blade. Is it best for me to invest in the Shopsmith table saw alignment gauge?
I read your two visuals as .000" and .682". As I said just before this post, I look for something less than .005".

In the one visual where the dial indicator reads .682 if you would slide the gauge in the miter track just far enough to allow the indicator stem to miss the saw blade you would get a good visual of how far off parallel your miter slot (the table) is.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
User avatar
dusty
Platinum Member
Posts: 21149
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 am
Location: Tucson (Wildcat Country), Arizona

Re: Table saw alignment fixture (Rockler)

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:16 pm 675E8CB5-0144-4486-B7F6-27A8D259BABB.jpeg31604F1E-C43E-40BC-B2B4-F50CD5DF4BDF.jpegI tried the suggestion with putting blade outside cutouts and measuring. Probably I am reading wrong. Gauge moves clockwise from zero to 70.

Can someone tell me what I am supposed to be reading with the table saw to blade. Is it best for me to invest in the Shopsmith table saw alignment gauge?
No! What you have is every bit as good as the SS dial indicator.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Post Reply