Mark V 500 saw guard help

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V 500 saw guard help

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

I like using the setup you show in your picture with the Lower Saw Blade Guard P/N 505628. It is nice to have dust collection for the Model 10's. That arbor (the 5/8" Universal Arbor) is still too long for the blade when using the lower Saw Blade Guard P/N 505705 on a Mark 5/V Headstock. As you can see from the pictures in the OP's original post that Lower Saw Blade Guard is a solid cast guard which is narrower than the one you have which can also have the added spacer for dados and other wider items.

I tried the different arbor/blade combinations this morning that have been discussed in this thread. Now I have to eat a little crow. (Sorry to the crows) :o

As I said above using the 5/8" Universal Arbor (currently 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor) or any other name it has had over the years does not work with the Lower Blade Guard 505705. Unfortunately, the 5/8" Arbor P/N 555321 is a bit too long to use with this Lower Saw Blade Guard P/N 505705 and have it all the way seated on the Quill. If you look at the picture of the Arbors in my previous post you can see that the 1-1/4" Arbor P/N 505511 is actually shorter than the 5/8" Arbor P/N 555321 as to where the blade is located in relationship to the Quill. This small difference causes the 5/8" Arbor blades to be against the side of the Lower Saw Blade Guard P/N 505705 before the guard is fully seated against the Quill's Retaining Ring. A 1-1/4" arbor hole blade mounted on Arbor 505511 has only about a 1/4" clearance to the Lower Blade Guard's outer edge.

If you look at the instruction sheet WaterGeek posted the first section describes it use. There is no mention of using the 5/8" Arbor P/N 505506 for Saw Blades or any other use. It only lists using the 1-1/4" Arbor for 10" & 9" Saw Blades, the 10" Sanding Disk and the Molder Head which until recently mounts directly to the Spindle without an arbor.

WaterGeek,

Sorry for giving you some bad information on using that guard with 5/8" Arbor blades. Although I have one it is a Guard I have never used on my Shopsmith's. Changing to the 520 Table/Fence system will resolve that issue. In the meantime if you wanted to have a guard set for your Mark 5 you can use the Lower Guard 505628 with the Upper Guard 505627 which come up for sale from time to time on the used market. If looking for that Guard set do make sure the Upper Guard has the part called the "Shoe" which is the heavy wire loop that guides the guard up over the material being cut. Without it the Upper Guard is useless. I have seen a number of these Upper Guards being sold over the years without the Shoe.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V 500 saw guard help

Post by edma194 »

Not sure which guards you have but I think I have versions that should fit your machine. Below is a pic of the upper guard. I think I have the lower guard it came with and another one that will work. PM me if you want to do something. You can have the parts for the cost of shipping.

upper guard.png
upper guard.png (753.4 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER