Help Me Identify This Miter Gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigAl
Gold Member

Help Me Identify This Miter Gauge

Post by BigAl »

Please help me identify this if you can.

Last year I bought a 1982 Mark V that had been retrofitted to be a Model 510. It came with an oddball miter gauge that works fine. The bar fits the table slot and has the disc to engage the t-slot feature. It also has the expandable slot in the bar like the Shopsmith units. It's really heavy and quite well made. It doesn't seem to be anything I've seen from Shopsmith but it seems like something MADE to fit a Shopsmith.

Anyone have any Idea what it might be? . . . Something from an overseas clone unit maybe?
Attachments
Miter Gauge.JPG
Miter Gauge.JPG (368.23 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Last edited by BigAl on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Help Me Identify This Miter Gauge

Post by algale »

Franken gauge? That looks like a Shopsmith miter bar. The rest? No idea.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I gonna say Taiwanese source.

Definitely a robust improvement.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I think I would be more inclined to agree with algale that it is a Franken gauge. The pictures I have seen, showing it in detail, of the Wood Master clone's Miter looks the same as an earlier Mark 5 Miter but with Phillips screws to set the angles and cheap thumb screw bolts to lock the Miter Gauge Stop Rod in place.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

It's a Fox/ Smithy Supershop miter gauge with a Shopsmith slot bar . My Supershop miter looks the same except it has a 1" wide slot bar.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

So, it's a Shop Smithy Franken Miter. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

lahola1 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:41 pm It's a Fox/ Smithy Supershop miter gauge with a Shopsmith slot bar . My Supershop miter looks the same except it has a 1" wide slot bar.
Excellent! Thank you!

The upper part definitely looks just like the Supershop miter gauge photos I found on the web, and the 5/8” bar does have extra holes in it as if it had originally been mated with something else.

There were some other extra similarly cream colored parts included with the Shopsmith, such as a rip fence, that were obviously from a different machine. Mystery solved.

I didn’t receive, however, enough parts to make a complete Shopsmith miter gauge. The Shopsmith hold-down mechanism looks more convenient but the one I have has two clamps and looks like it might hold better. Any insight or experience to share on this?
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Yes, that Supershop hold down is kinda clumsy. I haven't found the need to use it yet.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

lahola1 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:35 pm Yes, that Supershop hold down is kinda clumsy. I haven't found the need to use it yet.
Understood and agreed. It is stable though. I may be on the lookout for a decent price on a used Shopsmith unit on eBay.
chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 pm So, it's a Shop Smithy Franken Miter. :D
Yep. Well said. Perhaps I should at least paint it gray to match the machine . . .
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BigAl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 pm I may be on the lookout for a decent price on a used Shopsmith unit on eBay
Keep the variants in mind if shopping used. They are available with/without the T-slot washer (not a big deal IMO) and there are at least two styles of hold-down clamp. 'Old' has a threaded rod with knurled nuts, 'new' is a smooth rod with a single-point clamp. I keep an old style around, but strongly prefer the new for its ease of adjustment.

- David