Newbie, looking for a little info

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

TheMadPlumbaria
Silver Member

Re: Newbie, looking for a little info

Post by TheMadPlumbaria »

The other one just shows a model 10er along with a serial number, both sold by the same person, who’s also selling a jointer for a 620?
JR
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A 52 Mark 5 is even more incorrect than 53. As I said in my previous post "the Mark 5 was introduced in March of 1954." Production of the Mark 5 did start before they were introduced in March of 1954 but in 1952 they were in design and development and nowhere near production yet. The serial number is on the plate you found "3/4hp, mark-5 115v 60cycle a.c." and would be useful in determining when it was made.

JR, you said
The other one just shows a model 10er along with a serial number, both sold by the same person, who’s also selling a jointer for a 620?
Could it be the Jointer is Model 620 and not the price? A brand-new Jointer with all the upgrades is only slightly more at $627.00. The Model 620 Jointer was made between 1954 and 1958. Again, the serial number can help determine when it was made. In 1958 the Jointer changed to Model 620-C. The 620 Jointer's were painted green that matched the Mark 5 during that time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
TheMadPlumbaria
Silver Member

Yeah model 620, for $140, and it’s green, as for the mark5 that’s what they say the year is, the serial number is 272019,,
JR
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mark 5 Serial Number 272019 was made in June of 1954. That one may have been made just before the first changes were made to the Mark 5 which include adding a clutch to the Drive Sleeve Assembly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JMO You mentioned you have health issues , so when selecting the machine that would be best for you IMO first and for most for me would be creature comforts and safety issues , the MKV 510 has a larger table that gives you a lot more surface area . that means less physical intervention when lifting and supporting the wood , the infeed and outfeed sides can be extended to add even more support and they all fold up and can be compactly stored , also the larger fence on the 510/520 tables may or may not be more stable and add benefit sin the future for you that are not yet known , this may help you when feeding large or long pieces of wood , the 510 / 520 table and carriage are not the same as the MKV table carriage , so if you decide to get a MKV and do a table upgrade this would be something to keep in mind . mortise attachments will also differ .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
TheMadPlumbaria
Silver Member

Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:22 pm JMO You mentioned you have health issues , so when selecting the machine that would be best for you IMO first and for most for me would be creature comforts and safety issues , the MKV 510 has a larger table that gives you a lot more surface area . that means less physical intervention when lifting and supporting the wood , the infeed and outfeed sides can be extended to add even more support and they all fold up and can be compactly stored , also the larger fence on the 510/520 tables may or may not be more stable and add benefit sin the future for you that are not yet known , this may help you when feeding large or long pieces of wood , the 510 / 520 table and carriage are not the same as the MKV table carriage , so if you decide to get a MKV and do a table upgrade this would be something to keep in mind . mortise attachments will also differ .
Yeah health issues, I might be a little out of shape with the beer gut even though I don’t drink, but the issue is upstairs in the head, kinda takes a break when it feels a little over stressed, kinda needs a reboot all while the motors are still turning in the last thing they were doing, the computer just reboots for a few min, until it starts running and notices if anything’s diff,,
JR
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

TheMadPlumbaria wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:33 pm
Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:22 pm JMO You mentioned you have health issues , so when selecting the machine that would be best for you IMO first and for most for me would be creature comforts and safety issues , the MKV 510 has a larger table that gives you a lot more surface area . that means less physical intervention when lifting and supporting the wood , the infeed and outfeed sides can be extended to add even more support and they all fold up and can be compactly stored , also the larger fence on the 510/520 tables may or may not be more stable and add benefit sin the future for you that are not yet known , this may help you when feeding large or long pieces of wood , the 510 / 520 table and carriage are not the same as the MKV table carriage , so if you decide to get a MKV and do a table upgrade this would be something to keep in mind . mortise attachments will also differ .
Yeah health issues, I might be a little out of shape with the beer gut even though I don’t drink, but the issue is upstairs in the head, kinda takes a break when it feels a little over stressed, kinda needs a reboot all while the motors are still turning in the last thing they were doing, the computer just reboots for a few min, until it starts running and notices if anything’s diff,,
JR
--------------------------

Health issues can be a major issue , mentally and physically , after 4 shoulder surgeries between both shoulders a hernia surgery and multiple other body mechanical failures I to have to be careful as to what and how much I can do . everything I do now requires a little more thinking on my part as to safety as well as physical limitations I now face . I believe I enjoy wood working now more than I ever have , it has ben a great way to break the boredom associated with being disabled . good luck and think safe.
TheMadPlumbaria
Silver Member

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:25 pm
TheMadPlumbaria wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:33 pm
JR
--------------------------

Health issues can be a major issue , mentally and physically , after 4 shoulder surgeries between both shoulders a hernia surgery and multiple other body mechanical failures I to have to be careful as to what and how much I can do . everything I do now requires a little more thinking on my part as to safety as well as physical limitations I now face . I believe I enjoy wood working now more than I ever have , it has ben a great way to break the boredom associated with being disabled . good luck and think safe.
Yeah you got to think it our before doing anything not only so you don’t screw it up but you don’t screw yourself up also! I’m so limited on what I can do unsupervised let alone when someone’s with me, that’s why I’ll get lost in my models, put earbuds in with some good relaxing music and I’m gone for hours, yet still sitting in a recliner and the wife will be watching a movie only like 10ft away and always keeping an eye on me, but sometimes I’d like to do something besides mini things and something full size, I found a pic that the wife took of me working on my table I built waaaay back, I have it set up as a table saw yet all it is, is a circular saw mounted to a board and dropped in,
JR
Attachments
267FBFA9-929F-4D5E-8501-8C9EFE3DF20E.jpeg
267FBFA9-929F-4D5E-8501-8C9EFE3DF20E.jpeg (236.92 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I don't want to dissuade you from woodworking-its a lot of fun and a great get away from modern life . However, with your descriptions
of going blank while hands are still moving scares me to think about what might happen if you have an episode like that while your pushing wood past a blade.

Theres a ton of safety add-ons for todays woodworker which when used properly can minimize the risks, but not eliminate the risks.Make sure youve got them all !

As others have said-the Mark V over the 10s for sure.

good luck !

b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

There are alternative options to working with large sheets and heavy materials , a scroll saw can be quite safe and the detail of the work is only limited by your imagination.