Planer Carriages

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Planer Carriages

Post by dusty »

Ed

I want to build a blanket chest as a gift for my oldest granddaughter. I would like to do this using wide boards so as to avoid glue lines. At which lumber yard would you suggest I try to buy my rough cut lumber. The widest piece probably being the top at about 22".

Point: I don't think it's available. They just don't have those huge trees to harvest anymore. Therefore, I must do glue ups or "Is there another way"?
Gold Member

Do It "Marks' Way".

Post by chiroindixon »

If you are a follower of David Marks and WoodWorks, you'll see many episodes where he gets around the problem using either vacuum pressed veneers or specialty plywoods. I've seen him use many different woods in this fashion.

So....the next problem is finding the same sources for the veneers and plywoods. Here in my neck of Iowa, I can get the plywood but it is a special order items for close by lumber yards..

Good luck...and if you find reasonable sources for veneers, post them here. If wife ain't watching, I might sneak a vacuum press into the shop....Heh, heh...Yeah, Right!

Doc
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:

Now if you still don't see why any one would want to plane wider boards to use... well then that is the way you see it and we will have to agree to disagree on this. Do you agree to that?

Ed
O.K. Ed a person may like or want to use wider boards. Some folks on this forum have previously stated so. Yes, I was a little misled by the first three posts on this thread. I thought you touched on the subjects of "why cut up wide boards" and about the grain patterns that some boards contain".
Really! - Thought I was staying on subject! Since you observed that no one seemed interested -Just thought I would take the bait and run with it. I would use wider boards if they were available and of good quality.

Usually, the oak boards I buy (wholesale prices) are (S2S) 3 quarter stock, 8 to 12 inches wide. Is this what you consider "wide"? My planer is only 13" wide, so can't plane anything wider.

Trying to get back onto the subject to which you want to limit this thread - "using a planer to flatten warps, twists and cups in wider boards" - From what I've read, it's possible to remove twists and cups, however you end up with a board that is thinner than the original and depending how bad the deformity is you may end up with a shorter or narrower board. In other considerations, the practice should be done with extreme care.

If a person has 5 or 6 quarter stock (or thicker) and wants flat 4 or 3 quarter- and the twist or cup is not too severe - then it can be a useful method.

For me, the process seems really tedious. However, could be also very satisfying if the desired board is produced. Seems the process of flattening a board on a thickness planer in a small shop with a bench-top planer sort of defies reason. However if it is the only way one can figure to get the procuct he wants - then do it.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The one way I know to get wide boards today is to find then as recovered product....... and 22" might be found but it will be take some looking. If you do a google search or you might find some ebay seller offering something...

You will not find anything that wide at the home center/box store. Today most wide wood in the home center is in the 8" to 12" range.

A few years back I visited my wife's great or great great (something inlaws anyway... I get it mixed up) farm. They farmed summers and logged winters back around the 1880's up until the early 1900's. (A lot of the timber was used for the copper mining industry) Some of the orginial building were still standing from that time and other had fallen. The wood walls were about 2 to 3-1/4 thick and from 14" to over 26" wide boards! I think the term was "heart cuts" where the center of the tree was not exceptable for other uses but worked fine for buildings. I think I have some pictures somewhere... such a waste seeing it all rotting away.

I do have a bit of "recovered" oak that is 14" wide I got last summer, still no where near the 22" you are talking about. It is waiting for me to come up with a project to best show it off..... found it outside on a guys wood pile waiting to be used for fire wood, all it was good for as far as he was concerned so....... score a free pickup for me.

Ed