V groove on tablesaw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Re: V groove on tablesaw

Post by hfmann »

Hey b,

That's very helpful. I couldn't picture how to configure what you were talking about. Much thanks,

hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Update:

Hurray! The V bit showed up early so I used that. Not so good. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the whole bite at once. but it sure didn't work so good.
unsatisfactory results with V router bit -
unsatisfactory results with V router bit -
2023-01-31 10.58.31.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
I'm rethinking this. maybe dennis' idea of a dado stack with the table at 45 would work better.

thanks all,

hal
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Before you give up on the router bit, maybe try with stock that is thicker than 3/4"? Run both edges with same face against the fence, and center V-groove as best you can. Multiple passes probably a good idea to get to full depth. Good tight feather boards a must. After both V-grooves cut, then rip some off of each face to get to correct 3/4" thickness and have V-groove centered. Or, if you have surface planer, plane each face down in small increments.

I had more success routing some moulding by having table horizontal and not standing Shopsmith up into drill press position, but more like a horizontal boring position.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You don't need to use a dado, you can just make two passes with a regular saw blade to cut out the notch. Once the fence is set to the right distance from the blade you just need to turn the piece around for the second cut. You don't need to get down all the way in the notch, it's easy to finish that off with the corner of a sanding block.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

thanks guys,

I screwed up the infinity cube glueup. So I get to do this all over again. I'm going to take my time experimenting with the various methods you all posted. Now, back to the lumber yard.

hal