V groove on tablesaw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

V groove on tablesaw

Post by hfmann »

I'm making Nick Engler's Infinity Cube Clock and need to make 8 of these alignment blocks. Anybody have any safe ideas for cutting these V grooves on the Shopsmith tablesaw? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOBqwQwXPao

I thought about trying to tilt the table to 45 make a cut, rotate the wood, and make another cut to complete the V groove. Invert the board and repeat, then somehow ripping the board so the grooves end up centered. Lastly, cutting the board to the 3" lengths. Does this seem safe? And is there a better way to do it on the tablesaw. (I ordered a router bit, but it won't be here for weeks, and I'm too impatient to wait for it.)

Any other ideas.

Thanks,

hal
Attachments
Alignment block.JPG
Alignment block.JPG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: V groove on tablesaw

Post by edma194 »

Just getting started on that video so no idea how those pieces are used but I had to make something like that long ago and I cut 45° bevels on both sides of 2 boards and glued them together.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

hfmann wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:00 pm I'm making Nick Engler's Infinity Cube Clock and need to make 8 of these alignment blocks. Anybody have any safe ideas for cutting these V grooves on the Shopsmith tablesaw? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOBqwQwXPao

I thought about trying to tilt the table to 45 make a cut, rotate the wood, and make another cut to complete the V groove. Invert the board and repeat, then somehow ripping the board so the grooves end up centered. Lastly, cutting the board to the 3" lengths. Does this seem safe? And is there a better way to do it on the tablesaw. (I ordered a router bit, but it won't be here for weeks, and I'm too impatient to wait for it.)

Any other ideas.

Thanks,

hal
I'd do it just as you describe. The trick is in the setup
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Wow Ed,

That seems like a pretty smart way to go. Thanks.
edma194 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:07 pm Just getting started on that video so no idea how those pieces are used but I had to make something like that long ago and I cut 45° bevels on both sides of 2 boards and glued them together.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks Dusty,

Glad to know it makes sense. I'm guessing it's going to take some serious three or four handed manuvering to get that all lined up. Since the grooves get so close to each other, I was concerned about the safety of this approach.

[/quote]
I'd do it just as you describe. The trick is in the setup
[/quote]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

You might also consider milling those grooves with a straight router bit. Both the cutting diameter and the cutting length would have to be something over 1/2".

The basic idea is tilt the table 45 degrees, and use the fence with a sacrificial face to form big V-block for the workpiece to ride in. Using feather boards on both the table and the sacrificial fence, the workpiece would be well controlled, and the operation should be safe even in overhead routing mode. You can use the quill and it's depth stop to cut the V-grooves in multiple passes.

Come to think of it, you might also be able to cut it from underneath the table with a dado stack. Again tilt the table to 45 degrees, and install a sacrificial face on the fence.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Hey Dennis, That's an interesting idea too. Hadn't thought about using the shopsmith in overhead routing mode.

thanks,

hal
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I would probably try to use a cross cut sled with a couple of 45 degree blocks in it to support the stock.

b
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Another interesting idea - thanks bainin.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

kinda like this-but the triangle blocks should fully support the stock.
cc-sled.jpg
cc-sled.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
b