556005 20" aluminum miter gauge extension

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rhiday
Bronze Member

556005 20" aluminum miter gauge extension

Post by rhiday »

I am curious what folks think of this item, especially as it compares to the 24" extension. both are on sale now and I am thinking about getting the 20". Anyone have experience with it?
algale
Platinum Member

Re: 556005 20" aluminum miter gauge extension

Post by algale »

I have it because it was the extrusion that Shopsmith used for the Shopsmith edition Kreg Band Saw fence. I have only occasionally used it for the miter gauge extension. It is robust and has a Shopsmith t-slot on top, so it's easy to put stops or other accessories on it. It looks like it comes with one flip stop, which are nice to ave.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I agree with Al. I have had one for a long time and use it a lot. As Al said, it is very robust and the flip stops are very handy to have, They also make an extension to fit the top T slot so the flip stops can be placed past the end of the extension. That gives you up to a 32" capacity.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ite ... tem=555807

Since it is on sale and not going to be available any more, I would definitely get one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 pm Since it is on sale and not going to be available any more, I would definitely get one.
Oh, I missed that! Is it being discontinued?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rhiday
Bronze Member

Post by rhiday »

thanks all. much appreciated
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

algale wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:37 pm Oh, I missed that! Is it being discontinued?
Yes, per the email ad. "LIMITED QUANTITIES — THIS WILL NOT BE RESTOCKED! " The on-line ad doesn't have that.

- David
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Glad I checked this post. I wondered about this also. Now to buy while they still have them.