Hello from Michigan

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MichiganTom
Gold Member

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by MichiganTom »

Chapmanruss,

Thank you for the reply,
Not being a SS owner previously, I was not aware of these free resources or this forum. The young guy I bought the Mark VII from, had a manual for a Mark 7, I knew right off another manual would be needed, looked online and found one from Etsy. In the future I'll know better, but the 20 bucks has me something to work with. I thought the item circled in red was an extension end, I will take your advise on that item. The part in front of the chuck is a large wood screw/threaded end, not sure of purpose myself. I'll probably replace the live end, the bearing doesn't turn smoothly, kind of grinding chunky feeling.
Again thanks for the reply,
Tom
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

john_001 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:52 am Did your Mark VII come with a lathe chuck? The gadget to the right of the Morse taper drive looks like a SS adapter for one.
John_001,
No lathe chuck, looking to purchase one soon.
Thank you for the input, much appreciated!!
Tom
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

I removed the belt cover to do an inspection for myself and to perform oiling maintenance. So far I've found no damage or surprises. Belts look almost unused, sheaves look clean, oiling points found, motor (General Electric) looks brand new, wiring is fresh. Quill was a little stiff, oiled and loosened up well, even at 17 deg-f in the shop. Way tubes have some older rust stains, nothing serious, waxed for now. Speed control cam is aluminum (cast), good working order. I have some questions on removing the drive belt, but I'll move that to the maintenance and repair section. Took a bunch of pictures of the inside. And of course finding replacement belts, would like to get them.
Rack gear is damaged of course, but not in a hurry for that repair. Missing anything??

Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"Original" /SS belts not available. An E-Bay seller has the wider poly-v belt. The motor belt must be a third party source.

Get some belt conditioner and continue using the ones you have.

Replacing the poly-v belt ain't fun.(must remove drive sleeve - same as M5/MV 5XX).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Hi MichiganTom,

Just gonna say your Mark VII looks like its in very good condition. I hope to find one some day, I missed a couple of opportunities in the past, planning to jump on the next one available at a decent price, and close enough to go pick up. Hope I can find something that looks as good as yours. Seems like the plastic parts were the Achilles Heel of that machine, but apparently metal replacements are available. I really like the general look an design of the Mark VII, don't know why Shopsmith hasn't put together a center pedestal stand that can replace the conventional Shopsmith legs.

Hope you have loads of fun with your machine!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Tom,

I put the information about the manuals for other new owners who may read this to inform them. I have done that several times in threads. When I first started restoring Shopsmith Model 10's I bought the packet from Shopsmith they sell with information and manuals. I found out after that the information they sell in a photocopied packet is available free from several sources and like Everett's manual restorations are generally better print quality. Sorry mothership. After getting my first Shopsmith followed by restoring my first Model 10ER it was some time before I found this forum. It has a lot of valuable information available about the Shopsmith Tools.

Your description of the Live Center fits perfectly to one I have and for that reason will not ever use. Yours may be one that was purchased around the same time as the Mark VII in the 1960's. It is not surprising to find bearings that old not working as smoothly as they once did.

It sounds like you are well on your way to having a great running tool which I hope you will be able to enjoy for years to come.

There are many items for the Mark 5/V that work on the Mark VII from the 1960's but there are also some that do not. The Tables for the Mark VII are larger than the original Tables for the Mark 5/V. Because of this the Mark VII has a different Rip Fence specific to it. The Shaper Fence is different than the ones used on other Mark series models. Even parts that came with your Mark VII when you bought it may not work on it. The #2 Moorse Tapper Lathe Drive is an example. Over the years things get added to the "collection" of parts. If you wonder about a part working on the Mark VII, just ask.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

edma194 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:35 am Hi MichiganTom,

Just gonna say your Mark VII looks like its in very good condition. I hope to find one some day, I missed a couple of opportunities in the past, planning to jump on the next one available at a decent price, and close enough to go pick up. Hope I can find something that looks as good as yours. Seems like the plastic parts were the Achilles Heel of that machine, but apparently metal replacements are available. I really like the general look an design of the Mark VII, don't know why Shopsmith hasn't put together a center pedestal stand that can replace the conventional Shopsmith legs.

Hope you have loads of fun with your machine!
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the note.
I was lucky with this purchase, I was looking on market place for something completely different but I looked and the SS owner was less than 15 minutes from my home, I jumped on it. I didn't have a clue about the speed control cam, but again lucky, it's been replaced already.

Tom
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:31 am Tom,

I put the information about the manuals for other new owners who may read this to inform them. I have done that several times in threads. When I first started restoring Shopsmith Model 10's I bought the packet from Shopsmith they sell with information and manuals. I found out after that the information they sell in a photocopied packet is available free from several sources and like Everett's manual restorations are generally better print quality. Sorry mothership. After getting my first Shopsmith followed by restoring my first Model 10ER it was some time before I found this forum. It has a lot of valuable information available about the Shopsmith Tools.

Your description of the Live Center fits perfectly to one I have and for that reason will not ever use. Yours may be one that was purchased around the same time as the Mark VII in the 1960's. It is not surprising to find bearings that old not working as smoothly as they once did.

It sounds like you are well on your way to having a great running tool which I hope you will be able to enjoy for years to come.

There are many items for the Mark 5/V that work on the Mark VII from the 1960's but there are also some that do not. The Tables for the Mark VII are larger than the original Tables for the Mark 5/V. Because of this the Mark VII has a different Rip Fence specific to it. The Shaper Fence is different than the ones used on other Mark series models. Even parts that came with your Mark VII when you bought it may not work on it. The #2 Moorse Tapper Lathe Drive is an example. Over the years things get added to the "collection" of parts. If you wonder about a part working on the Mark VII, just ask.
Russ,

Got it on the manuals, makes sense.

I looked at SS site, they carry live centers, I'll purchase one from them, already purchased couplings for the band saw.
My primary want for this unit was turning, bandsaw and sanding. Eventually a belt sander if it will fit. I have a freestanding drill press and 10" table saw. I'll keep the Moorse separate. Now onto the band saw, plenty of work to do there, tires are in bad shape, bearing sound dry, looks like fun, pretty straight forward repairs.
Thanks for the offers with help, I will ask!!

Tom
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

MichiganTom wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:47 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:31 am The #2 Moorse Tapper
I'll keep the Moorse separate.
If a Moorse is some kind of weird moose/horse hybrid you definitely should keep it away from your power tools. It's probably not a good idea to tap one if you're standing near either end of the beast. :D :D
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

edma194 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm
MichiganTom wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:47 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:31 am The #2 Moorse Tapper
I'll keep the Moorse separate.
If a Moorse is some kind of weird moose/horse hybrid you definitely should keep it away from your power tools. It's probably not a good idea to tap one if you're standing near either end of the beast. :D :D
Stay away from Moorse moose Boris 🤪🤣 (age telling reply).