What happened to SS tool boxes?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

EdLivesay
Bronze Member

What happened to SS tool boxes?

Post by EdLivesay »

I know it’s been years ago but I really did want a set of the SS tool boxes that fit under the machine….I messed around and waited too long to push the button. I can only imagine that they weren’t popular enough to continue production. What’s the story?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What happened to SS tool boxes?

Post by JPG »

The introduction of the lift assist helped it's demise(jmo).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

EdLivesay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm I know it’s been years ago but I really did want a set of the SS tool boxes that fit under the machine….I messed around and waited too long to push the button. I can only imagine that they weren’t popular enough to continue production. What’s the story?
If they had been big sellers they would still be available. The only thing unique about them was they were sized to fit under the SS and they were RED.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Red was unique????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Well, I must be one of the few that purchased them. I LOVE mine and they are perfect. They are "unique" in that I don't think there are ANY other ones on the market that will fit as precisely under a Mark V as this. Unfortunately the lift assist made it impossible for SS to sell them because they are incompatible together, representing a weakness in the SS platform, so the cabinets had to go from the catalog...either that or the demand was extremely low. I intend to mount mine to the legs on each side so that they are suspended and move with the Mark V as one unit. Still haven't gotten around to building this project from my head yet... :(

IMHO...the red is a great compliment to the SS gray color. Aesthetics matter. :)
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

EdLivesay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm I know it’s been years ago but I really did want a set of the SS tool boxes that fit under the machine….I messed around and waited too long to push the button. I can only imagine that they weren’t popular enough to continue production. What’s the story?
Yes, years ago. I don't have a library of catalogs to search but I found them in a 2006 edition. Price was right - $159 ea.

16"x14"x 171/4" plus 2 5/8" with casters --- actually kind of small but they could utilize real estate that is otherwise lost.

About all I use that space for is a Shopvac and an air compressor,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I warmly remember in circa 2006 looking at an older Shopsmith Forum, where reible had built a custom set of under-SS red cabinets. That kind of skill and devotion was what pulled me into the Shopsmith family in early 2007.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

nuhobby wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:43 pm I warmly remember in circa 2006 looking at an older Shopsmith Forum, where reible had built a custom set of under-SS red cabinets. That kind of skill and devotion was what pulled me into the Shopsmith family in early 2007.
Here's another homebrew tool chest shown in forum thread from 2016: viewtopic.php?t=17878

I couldn't possibly find the time to build my own from scratch but I'm wondering if there are modular components available.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
EdLivesay
Bronze Member

Post by EdLivesay »

Guys…I found a couple of Craftsman, 2-drawer cabinets and a few Harbour Freight castors that when put together (even with a couple now unavailable Shopsmith logo stickers) make a great facsimile of those original boxes!

No pix.

It does not exist!