Tell me what this tool does

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gac5ss
Gold Member

Tell me what this tool does

Post by gac5ss »

I purchased an older used Shopsmith 520 yesterday and this was in one of the boxes. Not sure if it all goes together, or if there are multiple tools here. The round part in the second picture is magnetic and it spins.

Thanks for any help.
PXL_20230205_141830827.jpg
PXL_20230205_141830827.jpg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
PXL_20230205_141838373.jpg
PXL_20230205_141838373.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
PXL_20230205_141910217.jpg
PXL_20230205_141910217.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
gac5ss
Gold Member

Re: Tell me what this tool does

Post by gac5ss »

Wow! 217 views without one guess. I have looked through the old SS catalog on this site, but have not seen anything remotely like it. I think I have an old SS catalog in a box in storage from about 2001. My SS has a 2000 build date.

My first guess was it has something to do with tracing or pattern drawing. Don't get the rotating arms and chrome poles with holes in them. Then there is the base which somehow ties it all together. Plus there is the magnetic whirly disk. The two blocks appear to be set up angle templates. Too many moving parts to make any sense to me.
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

I believe this is an old Sears router follower of some sort. You attach your router to that tray looking thing and the arms are attached somehow with a pointer at the end of one of the arms. You attach it to your workbench, slide a picture under the point and as you trace the picture with the point your router is cutting the same picture on a piece of wood. That is my best guess, it kind of looks like something I had over 40 years ago. If I remember it did not work very well or maybe it was just user error why it didn't.
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Thank you Stew. I was thinking along the same idea as a pantograph. I did a Google search and Amazon provided a similar device, except the router holder is slightly different. The brand is "Milescraft"

My mystery solved. Now I can put it in the dumpster.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

gac5ss wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:32 pm Thank you Stew. I was thinking along the same idea as a pantograph. I did a Google search and Amazon provided a similar device, except the router holder is slightly different. The brand is "Milescraft"

OH NO

No tool should ever go in the dumpster. One never knows what the future needs may be.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

dusty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:21 am
gac5ss wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:32 pm Thank you Stew. I was thinking along the same idea as a pantograph. I did a Google search and Amazon provided a similar device, except the router holder is slightly different. The brand is "Milescraft"

OH NO

No tool should ever go in the dumpster. One never knows what the future needs may be.
------------------
+1 !! I can see a lot of use for it all ready .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

OH NO

I agree completely. On the other hand there's a router pantograph sitting way in the back on a shelf somewhere that I've never used. I fished it out of someone's dumpster but never used it. There are plenty of tools and materials I did use though. I can confidently say out of all the tools, parts, and materials I've stocked up over the years I've easily put to good use almost 10% of it. OK, not that much really, I have to periodically throw crap away to make room for more crap, but when I look at the current prices of those things I obtained for free it's been well worth it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

edma194 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:22 am
I agree completely. On the other hand there's a router pantograph sitting way in the back on a shelf somewhere that I've never used. I fished it out of someone's dumpster but never used it. There are plenty of tools and materials I did use though. I can confidently say out of all the tools, parts, and materials I've stocked up over the years I've easily put to good use almost 10% of it. OK, not that much really, I have to periodically throw crap away to make room for more crap, but when I look at the current prices of those things I obtained for free it's been well worth it.
:D :D :D
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Okay, I will wait until I get the Shopsmith cleaned up and running. I might get inspired. Don't want this to evolve into a time of regret. I had an idea yesterday on using the pantograph router platform, but I have already forgot what I was thinking of using it for. Inspirations are like that with me.

Waiting on some missing parts from eBay, Shopsmith, and Amazon. Meanwhile I think I will take out my power washer this weekend and give my new toys a bath...
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

It is a Sears/Craftsman Router pantograph. I have one in my shop. I have played with it but never built a project with it.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory