my bad jointer technique?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

my bad jointer technique?

Post by hfmann »

Geesh - I've had this problem ever since I can remember. The front of the board gets thinner and thinner with each pass but the end never seems to get jointed. So I end up with a wedgy looking board. I have to think it's my technique. Hopefully these 2 pix show the problem, Before jointing, I took the board and put it on its flat face down on the infeed table and the edge to be jointed against the fence. You can see the gap at athe back edge. The 2nd picture shows the widening gap at the trailing edge after a couple of passes.

From all I've read I think I'm doing it right. Start the board with downward pressure on the infeed side, but after it passes over the cutter, transfer downward pressure to the outfeed side.

Did any of you have this problem?

thanks,

hal
Attachments
edge against the fence before jointing shows narrow gap at the trailing section
edge against the fence before jointing shows narrow gap at the trailing section
2023-02-06 14.12.40.jpg (116.46 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
after jointing a couple of passes, the edge placed against the fence as a straightedge shows widening gap on trailing section
after jointing a couple of passes, the edge placed against the fence as a straightedge shows widening gap on trailing section
2023-02-06 14.13.53.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: my bad jointer technique?

Post by edma194 »

If your outfeed table is not as high as the cut then when you transfer to downward pressure on the outfeed table you will be lifting up the board on the infeed side and it doesn't cut as deep. The joiner blades have to be set just slightly higher than the outfeed table to allow the wood to rebound a little. If they are set too high you'll get the effect you describe. Even when adjusted correctly you have to keep the wood parallel to the infeed table until you've cut enough out of it to hold down flat on the outfeed table.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Ed, that seems so logical. Thank you.

As to blade height, I've adjusted that so many times I'm hesitant to think that's the problem. But you make me want to recheck them. Thanks.

hal
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

As versatile as a joiner is in making a square edge and flatting the sides it may be best to use a reference line in keeping the edge lines parallel . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Solved - Blade height was fine when I checked. Turns out I was just transferring pressure way too soon to the outfeed side.

Hobbyman - seems nice to always have a reference line. In this case, I needed to get two adjoining edges true and square. Then used the thickness planer to make the opposite edges parallel to the jointed ones.

All is well now guys. Thanks.

hal
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I rarely use a joiner. I'll use the table saw, hand planes, hand-held power planer, and sanding to get that edge straight first. Maybe if I kept a joiner mounted I'd be more likely to use it, but I haven't had the need that often. I have a DeWalt planer now and I'd use that to flatten the face of a board.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

hfmann wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:54 pm Solved - Blade height was fine when I checked. Turns out I was just transferring pressure way too soon to the outfeed side.

Hobbyman - seems nice to always have a reference line. In this case, I needed to get two adjoining edges true and square. Then used the thickness planer to make the opposite edges parallel to the jointed ones.

All is well now guys. Thanks.

hal
Hal,

Glad you have it now. Just curious how long was the board? There is a limit to what you can achieve while jointing with the SS jointer. Honestly, I gave up on doing 6' long boards with it. I think anything over 3' is problematic with it. You need BOTH infeed and outfeed support for long boards. That is why larger jointers from other manufacturers have such huge, long beds for jointing. Same thing with a hand plane. A good hand plane jointer has a loooong sole on it for this exact reason. I saw a video with Nick Engler one time, maybe a Sawdust Session (not sure), where he showed a nice infeed or outfeed support he had made for it. To get good results jointing on the SS jointer you need this support but it is cumbersome to setup.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A properly adjusted infeed/outfeed/cutter height will maintain constant all along the workpiece IF the workpiece edge is straight to begin with. However that is the goal, not the starting condition. Critical is the outfeed/cutter height. Desired condition is a workpiece fed past the blade will have the same elevation as the outfeed table. Funkiness of the workpiece as it traverses the infeed table prior to good contact with the outfeed table will make problems assuring the perfect contact with the outfeed table. Hopefully the funkiness diminishes with each succeeding pass.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

edma194 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm I rarely use a joiner. I'll use the table saw, hand planes, hand-held power planer, and sanding to get that edge straight first. Maybe if I kept a joiner mounted I'd be more likely to use it, but I haven't had the need that often. I have a DeWalt planer now and I'd use that to flatten the face of a board.
------
+1
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 pm Just curious how long was the board?
I was doing various pieces from 10 inches 17 inches long.

hal